Who's the "biggest" club with the poorest Honours list?

TN8

Was looking at Roma on Wikipedia the other day and was pretty surprised to learn that they've only been Champions of Italy 3 times. The last being 2001. I knew that was their last one and I knew they didn't have 10 because they don't have a star, but I'd have imagined they weren't that far off it!

Their Europa Conference League win the other week was their first major honour since 2007, and only the 15th in their entire history overall.

As the major football club in Italy's capital city that's fucking pish isn't it?

Any other candidates?

Spurs was the first that came to mind aswell.
Spurs have won two league titles, eight FA Cups, four League Cups, In European football, they have won one European Cup Winners' Cup and two UEFA Cups. Also the first British side to win a European trophy.

Id hardly say they were “ unsuccessful”. For their size they could have won more but I’m sure there are clubs like PSG who have 1 european trophy for example.

I don’t consider Newcastle as being a big club, never have.

They’re big in Newcastle and that’s it.

Just another average English team albeit they have a big support. That’s because they’re the only club in Newcastle.
The question was “the biggest club with the poorest record”. It doesn’t necessarily mean a huge/big club.
Newcastle are in with a shout.

Biggest club in Scotland with the poorest record? Could be another question.
It’ll be a diddy team though.

Spurs have won two league titles, eight FA Cups, four League Cups, In European football, they have won one European Cup Winners' Cup and two UEFA Cups. Also the first British side to win a European trophy.

Id hardly say they were “ unsuccessful”. For their size they could have won more but I’m sure there are clubs like PSG who have 1 european trophy for example.
I might be wrong but from memory the entire French league has less than Scotland.

I was looking at the list of Bundesliga winners, and was surprised at some of the teams hwo had never won it (Leverkusen in particular)

Actually Leverkusen have only won two major trophies - one German Cup and one UEFA Cup. Pretty pish
Smallish club backed heavily by their owners.

PSG are pretty much a manufactured team though. Only founded in 1970, only really became successful when the Arabs took over, the only had two league titles prior to then. Spurs are a pretty historic team in the UK so should have won much more.

I always think Lazio or Roma but Schalke is a huge runner, second most members in Germany - I make them bigger than Dortmund personally.

Hertha Berlin a funny Club but the whole City is funny on the football scene as well as money in general, given it’s the capital of Germany. I was at Oldenburg v Dynamo Berlin on Saturday, second leg for going up in to 3 Liga in Germany - the biggest match for Dynamo this century I reckon.

Hammarby in Stockholm ain’t won much.

Lyon haven't won anything of note really outside 7 years of dominance. Not sure where they ranked as a club size wise prior to the 7 in a row period.

Last trophy 1969
I went along to a former players` night in 2019, held to remember the 50th anniversary of our semi final against Newcastle in the Fairs Cup. It was held in a huge Working Men`s Club in Wallsend; and representing Rangers were Willie Johnston; Colin Stein; and Willie Henderson.
Newcastle had no less than eight of the team on stage, and numerous faces from later years in the audience; (the likes of Malcolm MacDonald).
The compere was the local evening newspaper columnist (of 50+ years) for United; who was an absolute mine of information.
At one point he addressed our legends, saying `your club has won countless trophies since then; and you will continue to win more`.......... `we`ve won bugger all since then; so by f*ck we`re clinging on to this for dear life` .
The room roared with self deprecating laughter.... 50 odd years is a hell of a wait for silverware.

I was looking at the list of Bundesliga winners, and was surprised at some of the teams hwo had never won it (Leverkusen in particular)

Actually Leverkusen have only won two major trophies - one German Cup and one UEFA Cup. Pretty pish
They finished runners up in every comp in 02 including the Champions League. Ballack and a few others in the squad then went to the world cup that summer and continued the trend.

Without sounding rude anyone who thinks Leverkusen are a big Club really can’t know much about German Football. Just well ran, lot of Clubs could learn a lot from them. Probably the best example of a modern Club - proper Family Club and bloody good on Twitter for generating interest. Never qualified for the CL through winning out for example, yet have been in it about 15 times now I think. Not many members either, a huge source of income in Germany yet quite cheap to be one compared to other Clubs in Germany.

Last edited:
I always think Lazio or Roma but Schalke is a huge runner, second most members in Germany - I make them bigger than Dortmund personally.

Hertha Berlin a funny Club but the whole City is funny on the football scene as well as money in general, given it’s the capital of Germany. I was at Oldenburg v Dynamo Berlin on Saturday, second leg for going up in to 3 Liga in Germany - the biggest match for Dynamo this century I reckon.

Hammarby in Stockholm ain’t won much.
I was always under the impression that Schalke were the biggest club in Germany until Bayern blew up

Saint etienne, joint most league titles in France, 10 along with psg, but haven't won ligue 1 since 1980 and have just been relegated to ligue 2 for next season.

Back