McCrorie to leave following McGregor’s new deal

That’s what I’m saying. He’s not going to displace the other two and his best chance would be when they leave next summer.

He’s right to leave because chances are he’s not stepping up to number 1.

McGregor signing had made his mind up imo.
He has been deemed not good enough as no 2 go
alie and his loan to Livi was not good and despite playing OK v scum over the piece h does not have the completeness to be our No 1 or No 2 and that is what the coaching staff have decided. Wish him well in the future

The lad has been seen as the best young keeper in Scotland. He was courted by the big English clubs as a teenager and hasn’t made that jump yet.

Plenty want to write him off after a bad season at livi but that is unfair. Can happen to any young player. He needs to play now or his career won’t take off. Probably won’t be at Rangers now as his contract won’t be extended

Rangers are just terrible at developing youth. Always the safe options
He's now 24, in footballing terms he's not particularly young anymore, he's not developed as I'm sure he'd like and certainly not as the club would have liked. Brandon Barker was keeping Ryan Kent out of the England youth set up as a teenager, players don't always maintain the same trajectory of development.

Only good thing I take from that article it sounds like Mclaughin will be no1.

Criminal we’ve let go of Firth and McCrorie and now need to sign a 3rd choice keeper.
Don't really understand your reasoning here. It's pretty obvious that neither was seen as a potential Rangers No1. Best thing under the circumstances is that they move on for both the club and the player

Remember McGregor at a similar age wasn't happy when we signed Wattereus as he thought with Klos getting injured for months he was due his chance. Eventually did so when Le Guen realised he was a better option than Letizi. No such opportunity for McCrorie anytime soon.

Very disappointed with this, but the below paragraph which I've taken from the article suggests that McLaughlin now has the jersey which is reassuring. Would've preferred McCrorie as the cup keeper next season which seems to be the general consensus amongst us.

But that will not be to stake his claim for the number one jersey this term as boss Van Bronckhorst gets set to put his faith in Jon McLaughlin despite Allan McGregor signing a new Ibrox deal this week after deciding not to hang up his gloves.

I'm not sure McCrorie being our cup keeper would be the common consensus amongst our support who watched his performances for Livingston, or our coaching staff, who work with all our keepers every day.

Cup games are far too important to play a player who is deemed not to be at the required standard.

I have zero doubt McGregor will be our no 1 for the upcoming season.
Hope to God it works out, as Gio could pay for loyalty with his job.

I just dont have faith in Shagger as our number 1 anymore. Last season proved mistakes are slowly creeping into his game and the warming signs were there against Malmo at Ibrox and that game 2.

Every opposition team next season at set pieces will hit the 6 yard box knowing he’ll be glued to his line.

We lost Firth too so are we now going to be bringing in another keeper to be 3rd / 4th choice?

Is McLaughlin happy to be back up again or will he and McGregor swap roles?

If Mccrorie was going to to challenge for a first team spot, he needed to be out on loan impressing last season. He wasnt.
Similarly Gio has (fairly) given all the fringe players the chance in training/ or the forthcoming preseason to prove themselves. If he hasn't shone then he shouldnt be in the team.

Like most the AM contract has me baffled, but we arent losing a tried and tested keeper here. Arguably i am more bothered about losing the young lad Wilson, than Mccrorie

Collin Stewart has known McCrorie a long long time his dad coached him his brother coached him with Scotland and of course himself for a good few years now he has obviously consulted with Gio that he believes McGregor and JM are better options such is life if he was good enough he would be in a better position there's nothing personal going on and nobody here has seen enough of him too suggest he should be No 1 or even the back up he had a poor loan at Livi ware he couldn't displace Stryjek it is probably time he moved on for the good of his career .

McRorie isn't good enough to be no1 or 2 at Rangers. He's a decent SPFL goalie but for the sake of the lad he needs to go out and play more games.

His time at Livi showed you he isn't up to it.

I said on another thread I though AM being kept on made sense, as long as JM became #1.
In my opinion I don't think young Robby is good enough. He is however at that age if he gets regular games that could change so can see his reason for wanting to leave.

Not entirely convinced he’d ever be good enough to be number 1.

However, the decision to renew a 40 year old McGregors deal following a season of multiple costly errors, over keeping a 24 year old, is utterly baffling

It simply smacks of zero forward planning or strategy.

Genuinely struggling to see any positives to this decision it is that bad

It's not really that baffling though if our manager and goalkeeper coach think that the 40 year old is still the better keeper between the 2, which is clearly the case.

This time last week people were saying McCrorie probably wasn’t good enough to be Rangers 1 based on his loan spells.

Now everyone is raging the boy wants to leave?

Can’t have it both ways.

McLaughlin played 16 times this season, won a Scottish cup as well as playing in the league and in Europe. That could have been massive in the development of McCrorie and a good way to see if he is good enough to challenge for the number one spot.

McLaughlin is a pretty good keeper. I'm not positive that if he was number 1 this season and McCrorie was back up that he'd have gotten that many games.

Would we really have started McCrorie over McLaughlin in the final or against Celtic for example ? Not a chanc.e

Im not surprised at this tbh, i have never thought he was good enough to be our number 1 gk.

We have wasted so much money on extra contracts for players that were never going to make it with us, Kelly, Middleton, both McCrories, McPake just to name a few.

McLaughlin is a pretty good keeper. I'm not positive that if he was number 1 this season and McCrorie was back up that he'd have gotten that many games.

Would we really have started McCrorie over McLaughlin in the final or against Celtic for example ? Not a chanc.e
Maybe not mate but we don't really know, he hasn’t played enough for Rangers for me to really judge him. He did play in an old firm win earlier in the season so I certainly wouldn't have been against him playing though.

The lad has been seen as the best young keeper in Scotland. He was courted by the big English clubs as a teenager and hasn’t made that jump yet.

Plenty want to write him off after a bad season at livi but that is unfair. Can happen to any young player. He needs to play now or his career won’t take off. Probably won’t be at Rangers now as his contract won’t be extended

Rangers are just terrible at developing youth. Always the safe options

Out of curiosity, can you name me a youth who we've released and went on to greater things?

Even in the unlikely event McGregor winds up as our number two, god help us if we're relying on an undercooked 40-year-old coming in from the cold.

He was tortoise-like at various points last season and the decline was rapid.

It's Sophie's choice deciding between him and the ginger muppet from St Johnstone.

McCrorie wasn't the answer either.

TBH the last few weeks have been indicative of transfer policy under Ross Wilson. Extending contracts for players well over 30 and going after more squad fillers like Colak.

Meantime a bottom six club like Aberdeen potentially might pick up to £8m for a player while Rangers don't seem to be in any kind of hurry to tie up key assets or attract big bids for these players if they won't sign new deals.

No wonder younger players might want to leave when Arfield at 33 and Mcgregor at 40 might get a place in the team before them.

We really are sleep walking right into another Malmo type result if the club does not get the finger out soon.

Was he?

We should be in for Jack Butland or Nikita Haikin. Instead we simply love to keep the old band and guard together.

Don’t even joke about Zander Clark. He’s fucking rubbish.

Yes, 100%.

Rangers seemed confident of getting him, although that’s a trait we have. The club briefed similar on Skovvers and Doekhi!

People losing their minds when it’s crystal clear what’s happened here imo.

Mcrorie is 24 he’s third choice Scotland GK and wants first team football. After being told he would be behind McLaughlin next season he’s decided at his age to move on, within his rights to do so. Understandable.

The club then say to mcgregor do you want another year on reduced terms as back up to McLaughlin, wee Mcrorie is leaving, mcgregor says that will do me I’m happy to stay involved in the club and feel I can go on another season as the cup keeper in the same way McLaughlin has done and be his backup in the league and in Europe.

It’s an excellent, sensible decision by the club who were left with little choice once Mcrorie made his ambitions clear.

Last edited:
I just dont have faith in Shagger as our number 1 anymore. Last season proved mistakes are slowly creeping into his game and the warming signs were there against Malmo at Ibrox and that game 2.

Every opposition team next season at set pieces will hit the 6 yard box knowing he’ll be glued to his line.

We lost Firth too so are we now going to be bringing in another keeper to be 3rd / 4th choice?

Is McLaughlin happy to be back up again or will he and McGregor swap roles?
No keeper would be happy as back up to a 40 year old who is past his best.

People losing their minds when it’s crystal clear what’s happened here.

Mcrorie is 24 he’s third choice Scotland GK and wants first team football. After being told he would be behind McLaughlin next season he’s decided at his age to move on, within his rights to do so. Understandable.

The club then say to mcgregor do you want another year on reduced terms as back up to McLaughlin, wee Mcrorie is leaving, mcgregor says that will do me I’m happy to stay involved in the club and feel I can go on another season as the cup keeper in the same way McLaughlin has done and be his backup in the league and in Europe.

It’s an excellent, sensible decision by the club who were left with little choice once Mcrorie made his ambitions clear.
Do you know this or is it just guesswork?

A shame but I don't blame him in the slightest. He's nowhere near getting a chance whilst we're handing out contracts for sentiment.

Absolutely no point in having him sitting on the bench for another season. He's getting to the age if he's going to make it he had to be our number 1 this season. That ain't happening so it's a no brainer for me that he moves on. Good luck m8 and hopefully see you back in a few years ready to take that number 1 jersey.

I, like others, absolutely understand his decision.

But, the harsh truth is that he is unlikely to ever make the grade as our first team keeper. 2 managers and martendale thought the same. Ultimately, when we remove the emotion of him being one f us, he is similar to his brother. Good, with potential, but not likely to be at our level.

All the best to him.
This mate,he’s decent but not the level we need.

People losing their minds when it’s crystal clear what’s happened here.

Suppose it’s so easy when you are privy to private conversations within the club

Can't really blame him. He never got another chance after a solid Old Firm game last year, and he should be going into this season competing with McLaughlin rather than being number three again.
This, the same with McGregor.

I remember thinking McGregor lacked ambition by being understudy for so long. Of course I was wrong. mcrorie could have done the same but surely this season was it

I honestly don't see the big deal about this. Third choice keeper moving on, that's about it. Just a matter of filling his place.
My disappointment is that we have not signed a replacement for Greegsy tbh. McCrorie was never going to take his place.

Do you know this or is it just guesswork?
It’s not guesswork it’s reasoned observation but it’s opinion of course as is everything posted on here. People need to calm down and trust the club a bit more. We have the core of an excellent team we have no need for the blind panic we are seeing on here on a daily basis.

There are some real "in the know" people on this thread. As in, they know a tweet from the Glasgow Times to be the gospel, they know more about the AM deal than even Gio does, they know McCrorie is likely the next Buffon. Aye, the club is in good hands on here :))

My take on this is that we wanted McCrorie to stay as the back up keeper but he's wanting first team football. We resigned McGregor to give us that cover and it's allowed us to move McCrorie on. All assumption on my part but it's a logical scenario
Seems the most plausible scenario.

The proof in the pudding will be how successful a career he goes in to have.

He's now 24, in footballing terms he's not particularly young anymore, he's not developed as I'm sure he'd like and certainly not as the club would have liked. Brandon Barker was keeping Ryan Kent out of the England youth set up as a teenager, players don't always maintain the same trajectory of development.
i did say has been and the fact he was called into the scotland squad shows that we is still rated by the scotland setup.he is at the make or break stage of his career

Apparently Man Utd are in for him. Maybe he had his head turned by that and this is why we have extended AM by a year. A lot of pieces to this, with some not in the public domain. Wish him well for the future. A move to a club like Man Utd at this stage of his career is too good an opportunity to pass up.

What's the problem mate?

Our 3rd choice keeper hasn't been good enough to break through and is moving on.

That's the kind of thing that happens at clubs across the world every season.

Clearly Colin Stewart and Gio (who work with him in training every day) have decided he doesn't have what's required to succeed at Rangers.

Robbie McCrorie could still go on to have a decent career at a level below Rangers.

Good luck to him too.

It's certainly not going to impact on our season.
Common sense reply at last, our trust has to be in the guys that see him performing every day not in a couple of games, how many jobbing goalies have came to Ibrox and played out their skin against us never to get any further than the low level club they were playing for at the time.
I wish him well but imo he would never have been our long term goalie.

Back