McCrorie to leave following McGregor’s new deal

This thread illustrates that for many on FF their default position is ‘the club is wrong’, irrespective of what the decision actually is.

Our 3rd choice keeper who would - at best - have been 2nd choice, although many want a new keeper with McLaughlin as back-up, is apparently leaving and suddenly the club lacks direction, focus and planning.

Does anyone want Colin Stewart replaced?

The issue for me is McGregor staying, not McCrorie leaving. I probably won't batter an eyelid should McCrorie leave because I've not seen enough of him.

I wanted a new number 1, McLaughlin back up and a number 3 could have been plucked from within our academy or a cheap third choice punt.

Same back 5 as last season (bar Souttar - that and Helander is a glaring issue for me too given their injury history) - simple balls into our box landing in the back of our net time and time again. Keeper not prepared to come for crossed balls/commanding his area and distribution from the back floating out of the park/surrendering possession. McGregor's distribution in games can be mid 30's for long balls, low 50's for overall accurate passes. For a team who play from the back, thats appalling. His shot stoping and overall positioning isn't what it was either. The panic in tight games and conceding last minute set pieces.

Exactly this.

McGregor should've not been renewed at the expense of young talent.

Horrifically backward concept.
So if you have a 21 year old poor or average standard GK you keep him and ditch the hall of fame multiple trophy winning POTY two seasons ago multi capped GK just because he’s older?

Madness. McLaughlin will be our number 1 next season and McGregor will be our number 2 and fantastic cover and will play the cup ties.

So if you have a 21 year old poor or average standard GK you keep him and ditch the hall of fame multiple trophy winning POTY two seasons ago multi capped GK just because he’s older?

Madness. McLaughlin will be our number 1 next season and McGregor will be our number 2 and fantastic cover and will play the cup ties.

You're only as good as your last season in football, the merits and accolades of the years gone by aren't applicable.

McGregor's last season was horrific, such is the point that we're all now speaking of him being number two, a back up.

I'm sure McCrorie was more than capable of that cover.

Our previous 2 managers haven't seen enough of McCrorie, a player they see every single day, to trust him to even be our back up. That's 2 different managers over 4 years and both don't think Robbie McCrorie is good enough to be Rangers number 2 at 24 years of age.

It is that simple. You don't understand that then you are a simpleton.
LOL. I love that you’re just refusing to acknowledge the facts (and corrections) provided to you in favour of repeating the exact same spiel even though the reality of McGregor’s early career contradicts your own stance and reasoning here. And still implying that myself and others are simpletons, although somewhat ironically, choosing to ignore what I’ve put to you is doing more to vindicate me and make you look like what you’re accusing others of being.

You'd keep a player just because of his age and not his ability?

That's mental.
Considering McGregor will be the number 1 and McCrorie would only have been back up, and considering McGregor is at an age where his regression will be significant with each passing year, and given that we already saw that regression last season when he made a plethora of costly, title defining gaffs - then yes I would. McCrorie would likely only be required to step in on the odd occasion and when he did so last season he did alright in what was quite a big game too.

This looks very much like the wrong way round. Maybe the club's position was forced by the lad's ambition but right now it seems crazy to me. Hope I'm wrong.

7 pages of posters criticizing the club, without having a clue what Gio's plan is for the # 1 shirt.
Our manager sees the goalies every day, maybe put some trust in the guy that got us to the EL final?
There's also no quotes from McCrorie, and we don't know what discussions he's had with the club, or what McGregor's role will be next season.
It's just speculation as the writer knows no more than we do.
Gio's not an idiot, have a bit of faith in him ffs.
Season cannot start soon enough!

LOL. I love that you’re just refusing to acknowledge the facts (and corrections) provided to you in favour of repeating the exact same spiel even though the reality of McGregor’s early career contradicts your own stance and reasoning here. And still implying that myself and others are simpletons, although somewhat ironically, choosing to ignore what I’ve put to you is doing more to vindicate me and make you look like what you’re accusing others of being.

Yeah man, vindication and all that.

The issue for me is McGregor staying, not McCrorie leaving. I probably won't batter an eyelid should McCrorie leave because I've not seen enough of him.

I wanted a new number 1, McLaughlin back up and a number 3 could have been plucked from within our academy or a cheap third choice punt.

Same back 5 as last season (bar Souttar - that and Helander is a glaring issue for me too given their injury history) - simple balls into our box landing in the back of our net time and time again. Keeper not prepared to come for crossed balls/commanding his area and distribution from the back floating out of the park/surrendering possession. McGregor's distribution in games can be mid 30's for long balls, low 50's for overall accurate passes. For a team who play from the back, thats appalling. His shot stoping and overall positioning isn't what it was either. The panic in tight games and conceding last minute set pieces.

I don’t disagree with that.

The last minute of the Cup semi-final + final confirmed my own thoughts YET I would likely have picked McGregor over McLaughlin for Seville.

I’m fine with McLaughlin as number 1 given it’s a limited budget & outfield positions need prioritised. If McRorie is leaving, I assume we’ll buy another low-level keeper - or there’s one coming through the ranks.

Considering McGregor will be the number 1 and McCrorie would only have been back up, and considering McGregor is at an age where his regression will be significant with each passing year, and given that we already saw that regression last season when he made a plethora of costly, title defining gaffs - then yes I would. McCrorie would likely only be required to step in on the odd occasion and when he did so last season he did alright in what was quite a big game too.

McCrorie isn't good enough to even be a back up goalie at Rangers, bud. Both Steven Gerrard and Gio have thought as much as well so probably best not keeping a player just because of his age, eh?

VINDICATION!!!!!!

B-)

Yeah man, vindication and all that.
“Big Eck signing Wattereus when Klos was injured (instead of using McGregor), and later loaning McGregor to a couple of first division sides shows he was trusted to be a back up even though he can’t be back up when he’s with these first division teams and not at Ibrox”.

I mean come on man, it’s a bit silly isn’t it? But regarding your last post, I’m not sure vindication is the right word to use when our keeper made a load of costly mistakes (OF games included) and we ultimately lost the league. But yeah, vindication indeed. Gio clearly isn’t infallible, if he’d dropped McGregor for McLaughlin during that dreadful spell he had then we’d have probably had a great chance at retaining the title, and that statement applies even more to Gerrard who made plenty of mistakes (you only need to look at his cup record). But if you want be stubborn for stubborn’s sake then have at it. I’ve made my point.

Last edited:
This has very little to do with McGregor’s deal.

He’s what 24 and is thought of as if he was still 18?

He needs to for the first time in his career get a run of games and play well before he’s 25 with limited appearances like Jack Simpson.

My preference would’ve been McGregor thanks and goodbye with JM/RMc battling it for no1 from an equal starting point.

It doesn't make economical sense imo,wages for Mcgregor for another year,if Mcrorie does leave ( i wouldn't blame him ) then at the end of next season we will be looking for at least 1 new goalkeeper and have to pay out way more than keeping Mcgregor for another year, i would rather young Mcrorie stays.

So you think Gio and Colin Stewart are simpletons?

You can throw Martindale into the hat too, as he dropped him at Livingston, after a run of poor performances.

Im not calling anyone a simpleton.

Im questioning the need to re-sign a keeper that is 40 years old. Do you honestly think that Gio and Colin were happy that without his mistakes in the league we’d have won 56? The only reason he wasnt dropped was purely for sentimental reasons.

If the staff think that McCrorie isnt good enough or never will be then they’re quite right to show him the door.

My main point is 40 year old keeper with mistakes creeping into his game with a major weakness for commanding his area is asking for trouble in league.

You're only as good as your last season in football, the merits and accolades of the years gone by aren't applicable.

McGregor's last season was horrific, such is the point that we're all now speaking of him being number two, a back up.

Still find the idea that, in one of the 7 seasons in our entire history that we've reached a major European final, our goalie was akin to the lovechild of Ally Maxwell and Cammy Bell quite laughable.

He had a couple of mistakes. His performances in many games kept us both in Europe and somewhere near the league title.

The defence was as culpable for pretty much every goal we conceded where he's taking stick. Notably home to Motherwell and away to Ross County.

So he was never going to play anyway ?

Judging by the outpouring on here we're losing the next Dino Zoff by the sounds of it.
As no.2 he’d have got the cup games

I’m not stating he was going to be no.1. But there’s absolutely no logical reasoning behind retaining a 40 year old who was awful last season, over a 24 year old that may well become good enough in the coming year or two for us

McGregor as a number 2 is bonkers given he won’t be match sharp therefore his performances if called upon will be even worse than last season

The decision making doesn’t make sense

Shame about Mccrorie, we don't know what conversations have went on behind the scenes.
With a year left on his contract and no agreement between the club and the player then he should be sold.
It's really as simple as that.

My preference would’ve been McGregor thanks and goodbye with JM/RMc battling it for no1 from an equal starting point.
The only thing I’m really sure of is that McGregor should have ended it here and we should have been looking to the future and replenishing our squad. McCrorie was never likely to be first pick, but of course that’s not the point.

He did not make a 'plethora' of mistakes ffs.

As no.2 he’d have got the cup games

I’m not stating he was going to be no.1. But there’s absolutely no logical reasoning behind retaining a 40 year old who was awful last season, over a 24 year old that may well become good enough in the coming year or two for us

McGregor as a number 2 is bonkers given he won’t be match sharp therefore his performances if called upon will be even worse than last season

The decision making doesn’t make sense

& neither was he 'awful'..

The hyperbole in this place right now is embarrassing.

Arfield wasn't poor against celtic at Hampden, RB Leipzig in the semi and Eintracht in the final. Anything but in fact.
Watch them again, if you don't believe me.

These were big games against tough opposition, which is exactly when you're looking for your trusted players to stand up and be counted.

I think Lowry looks a fantastic talent and I'm a huge fan.
His finish at Tynecastle was outstanding, but he is guilty of dropping out of games and letting players run off him.
His defensive discipline still needs a bit of work.

That's probably why Gio hasn't trusted him with a single minute in a big game yet, while he's introduced Arfield and seen him make a big difference.

Arfield will only take minutes off Lowry if he's the better option of the 2.

He was at the end of last season, but that may well change this coming season, if Lowry keeps progressing, as we all hope and think he will.
what player in our team isnt guilty of this, in fact probably every player in the world is guilty of this at times. Mental.

For all the good things Shagger has done for us, he’s potentially damaged our future GK prospects by staying too long.

Im not calling anyone a simpleton.

Im questioning the need to re-sign a keeper that is 40 years old. Do you honestly think that Gio and Colin were happy that without his mistakes in the league we’d have won 56? The only reason he wasnt dropped was purely for sentimental reasons.

If the staff think that McCrorie isnt good enough or never will be then they’re quite right to show him the door.

My main point is 40 year old keeper with mistakes creeping into his game with a major weakness for commanding his area is asking for trouble in league.

I personally think and hope that McLaughlin will start the season as 1st choice.

However, I'd far rather have McGregor as back up, as opposed to McCrorie, irrespective of age.

He's still the superior keeper between them.

That's the point I was trying to make.

Yeah but back in the real world he actually did. No idea why you’re determined to argue against reality in favour of pretending that it never happened. The last time I had this discussion it was a chore trying to remember each of the gaffs and goals that resulted from his refusal to come for cross balls. We’re not talking about 1 or 2 slip ups after all.

what player in our team isnt guilty of this, in fact probably every player in the world is guilty of this at times. Mental.

It was in a game getting played at testimonial pace though.

I'm a huge Lowry fan, but there's a reason Gio hasn't trusted him yet in a big game.

However, I'm sure that'll change soon enough.

Yes because a young goalkeeper can have a future at the club a 40 year who’s already in decline doesn’t. I’d much rather persist with McCrorie than McGregor.

He needs to for the first time in his career get a run of games and play well before he’s 25 with limited appearances like Jack Simpson.
He’s played over 90 games of senior football already. It looks like it has a lot to do with McGregors deal tbh.

There's a huge difference between a goalkeeper at 24 who has more than 100 senior appearances and a centre back aged 25 with 48.

Not to mention that goalkeepers generally don't come through until later than outfield players, 100 appearances at 24 isn't bad.

Just for comparison, at the same age, McGregor had 66.

The hyperbole comes from those who defend his mistakes and state every save he makes as world class. He was very poor last season and he gets defended in a way no other player would.

Last edited:
The hyperbole come from those who defend his mistakes and state every save he makes as world class. He was very poor last season and be gets defended in a way no other player would.
I have not seen one single person say every save he makes is world class..

But I guess you trying to state that isn't in any way exaggerated..

Lol honesty.

Arfield wasn't poor against celtic at Hampden, RB Leipzig in the semi and Eintracht in the final. Anything but in fact.

These were big games against tough opposition, which is exactly when you're looking for your trusted players to stand up and be counted.

His finish at Tynecastle was outstanding, but he is guilty of dropping out of games and letting players run off him.

That's probably why Gio hasn't trusted him with a single minute in a big game yet, while he's introduced Arfield and seen him make a big difference.

He was at the end of last season, but that may well change this coming season, if Lowry keeps progressing, as we all hope and think he will.

You've named 3 games of which he came on as a sub.

For every game he played well in, I can name 2 he didn't contribute.

6 goals 0 assists from 41 appearances last seaon.. along with too many abject performances in general.

He hasn't earned a new contract at all.

For all the good things Shagger has done for us, he’s potentially damaged our future GK prospects by staying too long.
You're saying its McGregor's fault he was offered another contract and decided to accept?

Do Wilson, Gio and the Board have any say in this?

I’d say being at fault for dropping a minimum of 10 league points due to blatant individual errors is cause for stating he was awful.
The last minute clanger at home to Hearts, the Ross County horror show (this really was a massive moment), parrying the ball straight to Rogic off an extremely tame effort which should have been comfortably dealt with, this more or less ended any slim chance of the title. Being easily beaten at the piggery prior to that (sorry but he was poor at that Hatate goal) and again failing to come for crosses (think it’s was their 3rd goal, I’ve tried to erase that game from my memory tbh), he didn’t cover himself in glory at home to Motherwell either, I mean the whole defence was dreadful but McGregor didn’t come out of it looking good either.

I can’t even keep track of the goals we’ve conceded where he could have taken the pressure off his defence by coming to claim crosses though, but then even when McGregor was in top form that was always still a weakness. But this season we had a spell he wasn’t pulling off the reflex saves either, it felt like everything was getting past him, and that was the time to make a serious call, Gio didn’t do it, and we lost. I mean it got to the point where it was really clear that teams had been told to get balls into our box because they knew we had a keeper who couldn’t deal with bread and butter crosses.

Horrific? Did you watch any of our European run?

His saves against Red star in particular were insane. The penalty save it Ibrox goes down as one of the best saves anyone has seen.

I just hope the legend that is Alan McGregor is used as back up this coming season and not first choice
Amazing servant that he has been I hoped he would have left with his legacy intact and another couple of medals to his name.

He is showing his age and has been culpable for a good few goals last season ,that being said he contributed greatly to our season also.
I just hope he doesn't have any real howlers if he does start as no 1 because he will come in for some amount of abuse and that could tarnish his legacy ,we are the best fans in the world but nowadays increasingly reactionary and vent our displeasure if things ain't going well.

You've named 3 games of which he came on as a sub.

For every game he played well in, I can name 2 he didn't contribute.

6 goals 0 assists from 41 appearances last seaon.. along with too many abject performances in general.

He hasn't earned a new contract at all.

Well Gio clearly rates him highly and he'll know far more about what's required to play midfield than you or me.

Personally I'm delighted he's here next season and you're not.
It's a difference of opinion mate and no big deal.

We can agree to disagree.

We started to lose control of the game when he replaced Wright. Doesn't have the pace or legs for that level anymore and it showed.

I thought Arfield had a totally unexpected turn of form just after Gio arrived, dug us a hole in a few games, but soon after looked leggy in games, and culminated in his display against Braga when he was bloody awful when he came on the park TBH.

He seems to have totally redeemed a good few months of pretty average to poor form based on a goal against Celtic.

No matter what happens it’s safe to say that there’s a significant number of people ready to play Captain Hindsight on this for years to come.

And there’s a few people playing Captain Alternative History already.

So here’s my go: McGregor has been a fantastic club servant and has deserved this contract extension. He’ll play less so I’ll assume unless we see a new signing and there’s rumours of one - that JMcL gets the most of the gigs.

Back