McCrorie to leave following McGregor’s new deal

management obviously don't fancy him to be the next number 1, it happens

if we let him go then i hope we have 1st option on buying him back if he excels

McGregor will be No1 next year. There is no way he can play as back up as he’ll need to play regularly at his age.

Buffon, Cech (at Arsenal), Toldo (at Inter) are all examples of top goalkeepers who stayed until close to their 40s, or older, as backup. It happens pretty frequently.

Can’t add much to what has already been said - ultimately we don’t know if mccrorie is or isn’t good enough to kick on at present. What we know more about is AGs form and fitness - which isn’t where it has been and is unlikely to improve significantly. Bizarre decision on the surface of it

Completely understand his want to leave. I dont think re-signing McGregor is a bad thing, its probably been seen as an easy way to back up the GK position at a cheaper rate than it would be to bring in another keeper this season.

More money for the outfield players.

We need the best goalkeepers we have, especially if a replacement is beyond our budget. If McCrorie can't break through now, then was he ever going to?
That’s what I’m saying. He’s not going to displace the other two and his best chance would be when they leave next summer.

He’s right to leave because chances are he’s not stepping up to number 1.

McGregor signing had made his mind up imo.

"If McGregor is going to be number 2"

And that's big 'if' for me, unless I've missed an announcement on this.

I can't imagine McGregor signing on again if he's been told he's going to be number 2.

And if he's number 1, he'll cost us more points in staying on his line at crosses and corners than he'll win us with 'worldie' saves.
I’m hoping it was a case of staying for one last year as back up and start to get into the coaching side…… I’m hoping

I am not usually one to be a drama queen but i have a bad feeling about this season.

Letting young hungry players go and rewarding players past their best with new contracts is a terrible idea.

You ain't the only one mate, it's clear this board have took us as far as they can and they no longer have the funds to move the club forward but there's no one else to do so either so it's not a great position we are in, depressing state of affairs.

That’s what I’m saying. He’s not going to displace the other two and his best chance would be when they leave next summer.

He’s right to leave because chances are he’s not stepping up to number 1.

McGregor signing had made his mind up imo.
If McGregor is better than McCorie, this season, then I'd rather McGregor was here than the other way round.

I am not usually one to be a drama queen but i have a bad feeling about this season.

Letting young hungry players go and rewarding players past their best with new contracts is a terrible idea.
Same here. Keeping Arfield AND Davis says to me that Lowry's opportunities will be less than they should be. Maybe not, and time will tell. Hopefully im wrong

Buffon, Cech (at Arsenal), Toldo (at Inter) are all examples of top goalkeepers who stayed until close to their 40s, or older, as backup. It happens pretty frequently.
Buffon's been making mistakes the past couple of seasons too

Here he miskicks he ball and is done for pace by the striker

He was hardly brilliant at Livi, lost the number spot. Nice to see he’s the second coming of Buffon now
I have to agree here. He’s now 24 and not displaced a 40 year old McGregor or McLaughlin in his mid 30s, perhaps he’s wasn’t going to make it with us. I do expect a new No1 to come in as I can’t see it still being McGregor.

None of us know how McCrorie's performs day in day out in training, only the relevant coaching staff know that. They will know the affect re-signing Mcgregor will have on the lad and maybe expect him to move on now relatively unfussed about it.

If the club really see something in Robbie they may be persuasive enough to get him to extend and go out on loan but the evidence tends to suggest otherwise.

Good luck to the lad whatever he does. In terms of goalkeepers he is still a mere whipper-snapper so plenty ahead of him if he is really good enough (it is hard to tell if he is though).

Last edited:

Buffon has been getting slated and told to retire by the Parma support. His decline started at 39/40.

Petr Cech retired at 37 just before he turned 38.

Toldo retired at 38 having been back up to Julio Cesar.

I think this is a prime example of the club being too conservative.

McCrorie came in for two massive games last season and kept clean sheets making some important saves. Sure he didn't look amazing on loan but that's what loans are for. The most recent evidence of playing in high profile games for the club suggests he's plenty good enough as a back up option to McLaughlin.

They are still available. We chose to re-sign a 40 year old and keep the old band together.

It’s fucking brutal. The same core of players for 5 years now. Even the ageing ones are still here.

It's two seperate arguments for me.

Should McGregor have been given a new contract ? Not IMO.

Is McCrorie good enough to challenge for the number one jersey at Ibrox ? Short term, probably not. Long term remains to be seen.

I'll say this, had McGregor been released and Gio promoted McCrorie to number one there would've been all sorts of outrage at penny pinching and lack of ambition on the board and Wilson's part.

The optics of this doesn't look great for the club. Retaining the services of a 40 yr old, and letting a young guy go. Here's hoping it's equalised by Lowry, King etc getting more game time.

Neither Gerrard or Gio could bring themselves to drop McGregor for McLaughlin despite McGregor being nowhere near his previous standard. If McLaughlin who everyone rates as a good keeper can't force McGregor to the bench then what chance did McCrorie ever have to get more game time while McGregor was still at the club?

Name carries weight far more than people would like to admit. McGregor, Davis and Arfield all getting new deals when none of them came close to reaching the level they had even the season prior sort of proves that.
Im not sure mate as that was a decision for both managers. But, perhaps the answer is he had no chance because McLaughlin is better?

I’m not really fussed about losing a player who I’ve seen play twice for the first team. We have went from 3 first team gk’s to 2, so would suggest that one of our younger gk’s being promoted.

I didn’t want AM to stay as our number 1(I don’t think he will be) but having him around the first team squad will be beneficial, like Arfield and Davis, although the latter two will probably play more.

Joke from the club.

Mcrorie may or may not have went on to do well for us but we should have rolled that dice instead of re signing a 40 year old who'll cost us points and possibly the league again.

There's a horrible mentality towards our youth.

Arfield getting an unwarranted extension at the expense of young Lowry who looks a great wee player is just one example.

The old guard always come out on top when it comes to building a squad.

A fair bit of knee jerk reaction in your post mate.

Personally, I expect McGregor to be back up to McLaughlin.
I don't see where this "oh he'll definitely still be 1st choice" narrative comes from.
Nobody gets those sorts of assurances and nothing has been said to indicate it either.

McGregor would probably be the best number 2 keeper in the league and is certainly still a better keeper than McCrorie, who simply doesn't have the quality to be a Rangers number 1.

It's very similar to the reaction around his brother, when he went to Portsmouth on loan.
Again there was hysteria from a noisy minority, but he also fell short of the quality we needed.

As for Arfield's "unwarranted extension", he finished the season very strongly and while he won't be a 1st choice, he'll still make big contributions in big games, just like he did in the SC Semi.
Even in the Europa Final, we'd our strongest period in the game, once Davis and Arfield were introduced.
He's only 33 remember.

Arfield's involvement in the coming season will probably be as more of an impact player, or to cover injuries and suspensions.
He's proved he can be a very important player in these situations.

Lowry has still to play and perform against top opposition for us, but if he continues to develop, then he'll get some opportunities in the season ahead.

His game time will be dictated by how he performs in those games, in comparison to other players who play in the same position.

Love mcgregor but gutted at this news. I’m near confident mccroarie will go on to be scotlands number 1 some day and we will have missed out.

Mccroarie should be our second choice and cup keeper, behind mclaughlin. Mcgregor should be 3rd choice
I know it's a tad trivial but FS

Very disappointed with this, but the below paragraph which I've taken from the article suggests that McLaughlin now has the jersey which is reassuring. Would've preferred McCrorie as the cup keeper next season which seems to be the general consensus amongst us.

But that will not be to stake his claim for the number one jersey this term as boss Van Bronckhorst gets set to put his faith in Jon McLaughlin despite Allan McGregor signing a new Ibrox deal this week after deciding not to hang up his gloves.
Who wrote that?

I doubt it. He’s never been an absolute stand out. Looks a good keeper but doubt he will go on to be massive IMO.
Get that but it means we are either going to have to promote a raw youth GK to be third or spend money on a replacement.

The one Livi fan I spoke to said he wasn’t convinced on Robbie when he was there, said Liam Kelly was a far better goalie for them.

I think a lot of people who didn’t want to see McGregor sign a new deal have now decided Robbie should’ve been number 1. He’s maybe just not at that level yet.

I get what you're saying but what date would you start to get worried? We absolutely slept walked into the champs league qualifiers last season which potentially has set us back several years, we can't let that happen again.

I think everyone agreed that the squad needed quite a major refresh. What we've done is extend the contracts of 4 players that everyone thought were leaving anyway.
I think most thought it needed a major refresh if we lost goldson, kent, morelos, bassey, aribo and Kamara. But, so far we have lost none of them so we realistically need a RW and a striker and we are in an excellent place.

If we have nobody in for the start of the season then its time to be concerned but we will and that's weeks away.

Lots saying it’s a terrible decision. Maybe Gio and Ross Wilson don’t rate him that highly and don’t think he’s the answer long term?

If he was he’d be in front of McGregor and McLaughlin in the pecking order.

Only good thing I take from that article it sounds like Mclaughin will be no1.

Criminal we’ve let go of Firth and McCrorie and now need to sign a 3rd choice keeper.

Probably but if we had seen him make the clangers that shagger made which eventually cost us the league he would have been long gone,and what decent keeper will want to sign for us when a 40 year old keeper is considered our no 1 .
Has it been confirmed he’ll be the No1 next season?

Not entirely convinced he’d ever be good enough to be number 1.

However, the decision to renew a 40 year old McGregors deal following a season of multiple costly errors, over keeping a 24 year old, is utterly baffling

It simply smacks of zero forward planning or strategy.

Genuinely struggling to see any positives to this decision it is that bad

The optics of this doesn't look great for the club. Retaining the services of a 40 yr old, and letting a young guy go. Here's hoping it's equalised by Lowry, King etc getting more game time.
Leon King is very young to be a Rangers CB.
Obviously a very talented boy but you have to be very careful with young CB's especially at our club.

McCrorie should be the one staying and McGregor should be away…

Keeping a keeper close to 40 and letting a 23 year old leave is madness.

This for me is an indication McGregor will be our number 1 next season.

It's two seperate arguments for me.

Should McGregor have been given a new contract ? Not IMO.

Is McCrorie good enough to challenge for the number one jersey at Ibrox ? Short term, probably not. Long term remains to be seen.

I'll say this, had McGregor been released and Gio promoted McCrorie to number one there would've been all sorts of outrage at penny pinching and lack of ambition on the board and Wilson's part.
Surely McCrorie would be number 2 behind McLaughlin?

I don’t see McGregor as the No.1 keeper next season. I think John Mac deserves the gloves with McCrorie as No.2. It was a well known fact years ago that players who had given the club outstanding service got what was called “a pension year” contract. They were there as a thank you but available to play in emergency and also to pass on their knowledge. If, as has been suggested, McCrorie is interesting Man United then the money will be great for him but does he displace De Gea? Or does he become third choice when Ten Haag signs his Dutch goalkeeper he had at Ajax who went to Barca and is second choice there?

He was never going to be number 1 anyway. He struggled at livi big time. Did well in the OF game last season but we have the big John who can be number 1 for a good few years.

AM decision is a strange one, but not concerned by this at all.

McCrorie should be the one staying and McGregor should be away…

Keeping a keeper close to 40 and letting a 23 year old leave is madness.

This for me is an indication McGregor will be our number 1 next season.
I have zero doubt McGregor will be our no 1 for the upcoming season.
Hope to God it works out, as Gio could pay for loyalty with his job.

Hope everything works out for mccrorie but let’s be honest here, if the “managers” thought he was ready he would be in the sticks at 24 years old now, for mccrorie he must have been looking on to the cup final watching mcgregors Cameo roll and picturing himself getting the chance this season to step up ,so I don’t blame him and wish him all the best for the future.

Was annoyed when I read the OP however now I’ve had time to process it, Im fine with it.

In my opinion, he hasn’t hit the heights we were hoping he would. End of the season there would have been his time if he was ready to take over the gloves, or even as back up.

I expect to see him at a Motherwell or Hibs if he’s lucky tbh.

So the board told Gio to give McGregor a new contract ?

Ok by "board" I'll change it to our Scouting/Recruitment team who should be going to Ross Wilson and Gio with a shortlist of 6 goalies that could replace a 41 year old.

Only good thing I take from that article it sounds like Mclaughin will be no1.

Criminal we’ve let go of Firth and McCrorie and now need to sign a 3rd choice keeper.
Criminal? McCrorie has been deemed by 2 managers not to be good enough to be our number 1 or number 2 and Firth was effectively broxi without the bear costume.

Cracking start to the day

What's the problem mate?

Our 3rd choice keeper hasn't been good enough to break through and is moving on.

That's the kind of thing that happens at clubs across the world every season.

Clearly Colin Stewart and Gio (who work with him in training every day) have decided he doesn't have what's required to succeed at Rangers.

Robbie McCrorie could still go on to have a decent career at a level below Rangers.

Good luck to him too.

It's certainly not going to impact on our season.

Back