McCrorie to leave following McGregor’s new deal

Absolutely shocking situation. Especially given McGregor himself doesnt seem 100% convinced. Wilson and Gio needed to show some leadership here and show him the door. Great servant or not, he’s not the keeper he was, and sentimentality doesn’t win trophies. We’re bringing on a situation here where we will have to sign a new keeper all to give shagger one more season.

What's the problem mate?

Our 3rd choice keeper hasn't been good enough to break through and is moving on.

That's the kind of thing that happens at clubs across the world every season.

Clearly Colin Stewart and Gio (who work with him in training every day) have decided he doesn't have what's required to succeed at Rangers.

Robbie McCrorie could still go on to have a decent career at a level below Rangers.

Good luck to him too.

It's certainly not going to impact on our season.
If reports are accurate young Robbie is attracting a lot of interest from some big clubs on both sides of the border. I feel we may well regret allowing him to move on. Whilst Allan McGregor will always be remembered as one of our greatest goalkeepers I feel he should not have been offered a contract extension, and that McLaughlin and Mcrorie should be comeeting for the gloves next season.

mcgregor clearly thought he was finished after the scottish cup final. He should have been thanked publicly for his amazing service and let go regardless about mccrorie

Poor move by the club. I really thought AM would be number 3 but if that were the case they would clearly have told Robbie so it doesn’t bode well.

Who can blame him? Rather than get a chance he’s about to sit behind a pensioner who had a huge hand in absolutely blowing the league for us. If I was him that would have been my cue to look at pastures new as well because he’d clearly be wasting his time at Ibrox (unless his only concern is with collecting a wage and he’s not actually bothered about playing).

I doubt McCrorie was ever going to be our number 1, but news like this does reaffirm the fact that McGregor isn’t staying just to be back up, and fans are right to be worried about that.

Last edited:
McCrorie should be the one staying and McGregor should be away…

Keeping a keeper close to 40 and letting a 23 year old leave is madness.

This for me is an indication McGregor will be our number 1 next season.

Keep a keeper just because of his age? Surely that's madness in itself.

Our last 2 managers haven't even deemed McCrorie good enough to be a number 2, he lost his place at Livi the season before last as well.

Clearly he isn't good enough. If his contract had ended and he had just left no one would bat an eyelid, we'd all be in agreement he wasn't good enough and its best for everyone if he moves on.

The only reason the usual simpletons on here are annoyed at this is because of McGregor's contract renewal. McCrorie leaving gives them another chance to constantly go on about Wilson/Recruitment/Future planning etc when none of them have a clue what our manager and DoF's plan is.

What's the problem mate?

Our 3rd choice keeper hasn't been good enough to break through and is moving on.

Clearly Colin Stewart and Gio (who work with him in training every day) have decided he doesn't have what's required to succeed at Rangers.

Robbie McCrorie could still go on to have a decent career at a level below Rangers.

Good luck to him too.

He came in and done well against Celtic and in the Europa qualifier. As soon as McLaughlin and McGregor were available though he was straight back to 3rd choice. This has been the case under 2 manager's now.

He clearly isn't good enough.

If reports are accurate young Robbie is attracting a lot of interest from some big clubs on both sides of the border. I feel we may well regret allowing him to move on. Whilst Allan McGregor will always be remembered as one of our greatest goalkeepers I feel he should not have been offered a contract extension, and that McLaughlin and Mcrorie should be comeeting for the gloves next season.

If we do end up regretting it, then he'll be the first youth for a very long time that we do regret releasing.

I feel that trust has got to be put in the coaches who work with him every day.
They clearly don't see him having the tools to be a Rangers number 1 keeper.

The flip side is, that McGregor will undoubtedly be the best number 2 keeper in the league next season.

I’m sure I’ll be corrected if wrong, but wasn’t the narrative on AM that he needed to play regularly to stay sharp.
Would suggest he’s not back up but first choice.

Even if McCrorie isn't going to become number one surely he gets a shot at back up. Madness all round.

Weird McGregor didn't retire. Surely he knows his own levels have dropped.

It's two seperate arguments for me.

Should McGregor have been given a new contract ? Not IMO.

Is McCrorie good enough to challenge for the number one jersey at Ibrox ? Short term, probably not. Long term remains to be seen.

I'll say this, had McGregor been released and Gio promoted McCrorie to number one there would've been all sorts of outrage at penny pinching and lack of ambition on the board and Wilson's part.

A new number 1 should have been signed. I'm not bothered in the slightest if McCrorie leaves. It's the fact we've offered McGregor a new contract - there was plenty discussing through out last season that it should be McGregor's last.

Our last 2 managers haven't even deemed McCrorie good enough to be a number 2, he lost his place at Livi the season before last as well.

Clearly he isn't good enough. If his contract had ended and he had just left no one would bat an eyelid, we'd all be in agreement he wasn't good enough and its best for everyone if he moves on.

The only reason the usual simpletons on here are annoyed at this is because of McGregor's contract renewal. McCrorie leaving gives them another chance to constantly go on about Wilson/Recruitment/Future planning etc when none of them have a clue what our manager and DoF's plan is.
McGregor was out on loan at the mighty Dunfermline at McCrorie’s age so its maybe a tad early to write him off. But aye simpletons and that….

Should also note that Wilson would maybe be given a bit of leeway if our most recent transfer windows hadn’t been pish.

I don’t blame him for wanting out the door and no wonder he is disillusioned by it all. The McGregor extension is bonkers on every level.

McGregor was out on loan at the mighty Dunfermline at McCrorie’s age so its maybe a tad early to write him off. But aye simpletons and that….

Should also note that Wilson would maybe be given a bit of leeway if our most recent transfer windows hadn’t been pish.

Gio and Gerrard seen him every single day, literally every single day in training and didn't even deem him good enough for 2nd choice.

That says all we need to know.

‘First team star’, that’s one way to describe his one game or so that he’s played for us. He’s had multiple loan spells elsewhere and never really set the heather alight. People will just use this as another stick to best McGregor with, but in reality Mccrorie didn’t really seem as if he was ever going to make it with us, regardless of Mcgregor staying on or not.

I reckon if McGregor left we would’ve signed another keeper anyway and Mccrorie would’ve still been 3rd choice.

Gio and Gerrard seen him every single day, literally every single day in training and didn't even deem him good enough for 2nd choice.

That says all we need to know.
And like I said, McGregor was on loan to a team that weren’t even good enough to play in the same league as us when he was McCrorie’s age. That clearly told us all we needed to know didn’t it….

The romantic story was always McCrorie as our long term keeper.

I'll be honest, as much as I completely understand why he wants first team football, I've not saw enough of him to know this is a mistake on our part yet.

Respect to the guy for not being happy to just sit in the stand and pick up a wage.
Correct. Powers at be obvioisly don't think he's good enough right now to be #2.
I've not seen enough of McCrorie to argue if he should or shouldn't be promoted to #2.
I have seen plenty of McGregor and if our intention is he gets the cup games. I'm sweating already at the thought of the 1st corner against him.
He can't be #1.

I'm hoping he is staying to coach and we keep him registered for emergency purposes only.

A fair bit of knee jerk reaction in your post mate.

Personally, I expect McGregor to be back up to McLaughlin.
I don't see where this "oh he'll definitely still be 1st choice" narrative comes from.
Nobody gets those sorts of assurances and nothing has been said to indicate it either.

McGregor would probably be the best number 2 keeper in the league and is certainly still a better keeper than McCrorie, who simply doesn't have the quality to be a Rangers number 1.

It's very similar to the reaction around his brother, when he went to Portsmouth on loan.
Again there was hysteria from a noisy minority, but he also fell short of the quality we needed.

As for Arfield's "unwarranted extension", he finished the season very strongly and while he won't be a 1st choice, he'll still make big contributions in big games, just like he did in the SC Semi.
Even in the Europa Final, we'd our strongest period in the game, once Davis and Arfield were introduced.
He's only 33 remember.

Arfield's involvement in the coming season will probably be as more of an impact player, or to cover injuries and suspensions.
He's proved he can be a very important player in these situations.

Lowry has still to play and perform against top opposition for us, but if he continues to develop, then he'll get some opportunities in the season ahead.

His game time will be dictated by how he performs in those games, in comparison to other players who play in the same position.
What makes you think he'll be back up?

Gio had him as No1 last season despite him throwing goals in left right and centre. What would change Gios mind from May - August?

As for Arfield.. he's been poor for ages. We get a couple good months a season out of him. As far as I'm concerned he'll be taking minutes off of Lowry who will eventually get fed up.

You only have to look at Lowrys goal at Tynecastle to see he is more than capable of doing it at a good level.

And like I said, McGregor was on loan to a team that weren’t even good enough to play in the same league as us when he was McCrorie’s age. That clearly told us all we needed to know didn’t it….

Nope, because previous managers before Smith came back trusted McGregor to be the back up keeper in many squads before he proved himself good enough to be 1st choice.

He was clearly showing in training every day that he was good enough to be trusted as a Number 2.

Unfortunately for McCrorie that's 2 managers now who haven't thought he was good enough to be even 2nd choice, it happens, no big deal.

Joke from the club.

Mcrorie may or may not have went on to do well for us but we should have rolled that dice instead of re signing a 40 year old who'll cost us points and possibly the league again.

There's a horrible mentality towards our youth.

Arfield getting an unwarranted extension at the expense of young Lowry who looks a great wee player is just one example.

The old guard always come out on top when it comes to building a squad.
Arfield/Lowry is a different argument, they play in different positions and will do different roles.

McCrorie unfortunately hasn't shown he is good enough to be Rangers number 1 during his loan spells so this was on the cards regardless.
I agree yet seemingly the club thought otherwise, and if McGregor decided it was the time to retire this summer McCrorie would likely be staying. So I think it raises more questions about how well prepared we are for this summer

Fair play to the guy. At 24 he should be beyond being a third choice keeper.
I was hoping he'd be McLaughlin's understudy with a view to stepping up to be our main No.1

I can't see any issue with this. Always thought McGregor's new deal was a third choice coaching type role.

His performances aren't as bad as being described on here, he actually played well towards the end of the season but it is the right time for him to step down.

Seems to have gone full circle with McGregor. I remember we were going mental as a support when he was on the bench as a 24 year old promising keeper with Letizi favoured as first choice.

Joke from the club.

Mcrorie may or may not have went on to do well for us but we should have rolled that dice instead of re signing a 40 year old who'll cost us points and possibly the league again.

There's a horrible mentality towards our youth.

Arfield getting an unwarranted extension at the expense of young Lowry who looks a great wee player is just one example.

The old guard always come out on top when it comes to building a squad.

What a pile of absolute pish.

You would think this was a huge deal the way some people are going on.

Robbie was unlikely to have ever been good enough for Rangers, regardless of the McGregor situation.

But he didn’t let us down when he got the chance. Best of luck to him

Using the points made above that the management team see mccrorie everyday so they know he’s not good enough, that’s fine, can be a valid point etc. But they seen McGregor everyday last season and still chose to play him in the league, even after multiple mistakes. Ultimately that was a major factor in handing them the league title. Gerrard and co were already fazing McGregor out, starting McLaughlin a lot more from what I remember.

Nope, because previous managers before Smith came back trusted McGregor to be the back up keeper in many squads before he proved himself good enough to be 1st choice.

He was clearly showing in training every day that he was good enough to be trusted as a Number 2.

Unfortunately for McCrorie that's 2 managers now who haven't thought he was good enough to be even 2nd choice, it happens, no big deal.
Sorry, but how do previous managers (i.e. one solitary manager in Alex McLeish) call on McGregor to step in while he’s on loan at St Johnstone and Dunfermline? And given that prior to his loan Wattereus was signed when Klos was injured he hardly trusted McGregor as the back up did he?

The decision to label those not thrilled with this news as ‘simpletons’ is looking worse all the time.

People losing their minds when it’s crystal clear what’s happened here imo.

Mcrorie is 24 he’s third choice Scotland GK and wants first team football. After being told he would be behind McLaughlin next season he’s decided at his age to move on, within his rights to do so. Understandable.

The club then say to mcgregor do you want another year on reduced terms as back up to McLaughlin, wee Mcrorie is leaving, mcgregor says that will do me I’m happy to stay involved in the club and feel I can go on another season as the cup keeper in the same way McLaughlin has done and be his backup in the league and in Europe.

It’s an excellent, sensible decision by the club who were left with little choice once Mcrorie made his ambitions clear.

I hope you’re right but then that leaves nothing for the support to be raging about at the club!

It was a terrible decision by Rangers to offer McGregor an extension. We've put ourselves in the posion where we've handed an extension to a 40 year old goalkeeper who is done and allowing a 24 year old who was Scotland’s second choice keeper to leave! Absolutely crazy!

Does it take a simpleton to spot that McGregor is clearly more error prone and isn't making saves he once was?

Does it take a simpleton to realise McCrorie would have been reliable had he been called upon to deputise for the odd game?

If there is a master plan on a new keeper then I’ll praise the succession planning but at this moment in time we have a solid number 2 who could be a number 1 and a number 1 who cost us points last season. IMO we need a new keeper whether that be a 1,2 or 3 is anyone’s guess.

This thread illustrates that for many on FF their default position is ‘the club is wrong’, irrespective of what the decision actually is.

Our 3rd choice keeper who would - at best - have been 2nd choice, although many want a new keeper with McLaughlin as back-up, is apparently leaving and suddenly the club lacks direction, focus and planning.

Does anyone want Colin Stewart replaced?

Could and should have been our no.1 for the next 10 years from 23/34.

For the sake of what? Signing a regressing McGregor who cost more league points than he saved last season.

Poor from the club

The worry is why our management team can't see Mcgregors reluctance and failure in not controlling the six yard box at set pieces as a problem , costing us points , which is/was worsening week by week. He's in his 41st year and isn't going to change. His confidence is low and the dead giveaway is when he loses a goal he blames everybody but himself. ( like some of our fans ) . I rated him highly and was always delighted to see he was included in the team sheet , sadly I can't say the same nowadays.

Maybe part of the late shout on McGregor's contract is they've all taken a look at things and decided McCrorie isn't good enough.

They'd possibly looked at signing a keeper this summer and it's not happening so the plan changed.

That in turn has made them think that McGregor stays for another year as part of the goalie team, McCrorie goes and McLaughlin becomes number one. It'd likely see one of the B Team keepers made up to 3rd choice now.

A year from now, we likely buy a proper 1st choice keeper for long term plans when McGregor does retire at that point and McLaughling either becomes no.2 again or he leaves with the B Team keeper then no.2 himself.

Could and should have been our no.1 for the next 10 years from 23/34.

For the sake of what? Signing a regressing McGregor who cost more league points than he saved last season.

Poor from the club
He’s not really done anything to suggest he should be anywhere near the number 1 jersey. But I’d rather my backup was a younger player with plenty of years left in him than a 40 year old who’ll regress each season and would likely struggle to step back in after sitting cold on the bench for a period of time.

Which I think we know won’t happen anyway because McGregor will start every game, and that’s what this is about really. People are going to look at this, and previous transfer windows and rightly worry that we still don’t have any sort of workable plan for replenishing and/or improving the squad. It cost us a league title and a guaranteed CL windfall, so I’m not sure fans can be blamed for their apprehension here.

Sorry, but how do previous managers (i.e. one solitary manager in Alex McLeish) call on McGregor to step in while he’s on loan at St Johnstone and Dunfermline? And given that prior to his loan Wattereus was signed when Klos was injured he hardly trusted McGregor as the back up did he?

The decision to label those not thrilled with this news as ‘simpletons’ is looking worse all the time.

Our previous 2 managers haven't seen enough of McCrorie, a player they see every single day, to trust him to even be our back up. That's 2 different managers over 4 years and both don't think Robbie McCrorie is good enough to be Rangers number 2 at 24 years of age.

It is that simple. You don't understand that then you are a simpleton.

Does it take a simpleton to spot that McGregor is clearly more error prone and isn't making saves he once was?

Does it take a simpleton to realise McCrorie would have been reliable had he been called upon to deputise for the odd game?

If there is a master plan on a new keeper then I’ll praise the succession planning but at this moment in time we have a solid number 2 who could be a number 1 and a number 1 who cost us points last season. IMO we need a new keeper whether that be a 1,2 or 3 is anyone’s guess.

2 managers haven't deemed McCrorie even good enough to be a number 2.

Its really not the big deal so many are trying make it to be. He's not good enough, he wants to leave and play so fair enough.

Disappointed he is leaving, I like to see youth coming through and making the grade but perhaps the management do not think he has the quality required to be no 1 or even no 2?

My worry is that the management still see a future for McGregor when he was clearly costing us on occasions, his time has been and gone. Lets hope he is no 2 for the season however I have my doubts and think GvB may still see him as No1.

What makes you think he'll be back up?

Gio had him as No1 last season despite him throwing goals in left right and centre. What would change Gios mind from May - August?

As for Arfield.. he's been poor for ages. We get a couple good months a season out of him. As far as I'm concerned he'll be taking minutes off of Lowry who will eventually get fed up.

You only have to look at Lowrys goal at Tynecastle to see he is more than capable of doing it at a good level.

Arfield wasn't poor against celtic at Hampden, RB Leipzig in the semi and Eintracht in the final. Anything but in fact.
Watch them again, if you don't believe me.

These were big games against tough opposition, which is exactly when you're looking for your trusted players to stand up and be counted.

I think Lowry looks a fantastic talent and I'm a huge fan.
His finish at Tynecastle was outstanding, but he is guilty of dropping out of games and letting players run off him.
His defensive discipline still needs a bit of work.

That's probably why Gio hasn't trusted him with a single minute in a big game yet, while he's introduced Arfield and seen him make a big difference.

Arfield will only take minutes off Lowry if he's the better option of the 2.

He was at the end of last season, but that may well change this coming season, if Lowry keeps progressing, as we all hope and think he will.

He’s not really done anything to suggest he should be anywhere near the number 1 jersey. But I’d rather my backup was a younger player with plenty of years left in him than a 40 year old who’ll regress each season and would likely struggle to step back in after sitting cold on the bench for a period of time.

You'd keep a player just because of his age and not his ability?

That's mental.

So you think Gio and Colin Stewart are simpletons?

You can throw Martindale into the hat too, as he dropped him at Livingston, after a run of poor performances.

You know what that’s very sad and I don’t blame the lad for trying elsewhere. Feels like he’s been let down by Rangers, which doesn’t sit well.

Exactly this.

McGregor should've not been renewed at the expense of young talent.

Horrifically backward concept.

What's the problem mate?

Good luck to him too.

They've also decided McGregor deserves a new deal when he's basically a slice of Swiss cheese at this point so I'm not exactly hanging on to their every word when it comes to goalie decisions

Back