Has not signing a goalscorer in January killed us

Yes 100%. Would have given us a decent chance due to the amount of chances we still manage to create.

I think not having any money to buy players could well have been the case.

Dessers misses chances every game and has been doing so well before Christmas so the alarm bells were sounding. OK we might not have had enough cash to buy Shankland but how come the tims can get a guy from Norwich that can put the ball in the net if you give him a chance and didnt cost the earth.
We shoud have had some sort of No 9 as a priority in January but its more of a concern the manager decided to run with Dessers when most Rangers fans would have driven him to the airport.

Dessers misses chances every game and has been doing so well before Christmas so the alarm bells were sounding. OK we might not have had enough cash to buy Shankland but how come the tims can get a guy from Norwich that can put the ball in the net if you give him a chance and didnt cost the earth.
We shoud have had some sort of No 9 as a priority in January but its more of a concern the manager decided to run with Dessers when most Rangers fans would have driven him to the airport.

Good point. People act like Dessers is just a symptom of an unfortunate circumstance. It could have been fixed.

The January window at the moment looks a mess in terms of how its impacted the season. It hasn't really been mentioned but the delay in bringing in a DoF until the start of the window can't have helped us.

I don't buy the argument it was impossible for us to bring in £4m in player sales by selling 3 or 4 players to then buy Shankland. We never had a DoF in early enough, someone should have been appointed in October and got deals lined up going into that window to move players on.

To be fair the Manager probably realised this was not ideal at the time. Had he been able to, he would have probably preferred anothet striker in.

Of course it has, not saying Shankland is the answer but we would have been out of sight had he been playing for us today.

Laughable that after a few decent performances in January/February people were saying Dessers is twice the player bla bla bla

Who said Dessers was twice the player? I think you have made that up!!

Yep it would have worked. Wasn’t fussed about Shankland but just looking at the chances it would have made the difference imo. There was one today for example would have put us 2 up.

Bisgrove allowed Beale to spend £15 million and fired him 3 months later that’s alright if you play in the English Premiership

Aye, how much would Miovski cost, for example?
I remember many on here slating others who said we needed him and Shankland, laughing and pointing fingers, well, hows that working out for you now, gents?
You know who you are. Feel free to get in touch...

Yes and no. Signing a striker would have made us stronger in the final 3rd but the main issues lie in that our defence hasn’t been properly upgraded since 2018 and every ball into it looks like someone has launched a hand grenade into our box.
And secondly, the core and spine of our team, the so called leaders, are mentally too weak to play for Rangers and fold like a cheap suit in the same fashion time and time again

In letting Beale spend all the money.

They backed their manager but the spend was pretty balanced so it can’t be a considered a “mismanagement of funds” at board level.

This summer will be similar, we will spend what we have and look to balance the books.

Centre half, drives me mental this chat about a striker when the three games we have dropped points in we conceded 8 goals.

Does nobody else see this? no attack we could ever sign is digging that defence out.

The attack is poor but the defence is absolutely sickening time and time again.

If you were to watch our worst moments since returning to the top flight it's ALL defensive blunders not too many 0-0s.

Last edited:
Aye, how much would Miovski cost, for example?
I remember many on here slating others who said we needed him and Shankland, laughing and pointing fingers, well, hows that working out for you now, gents?
You know who you are. Feel free to get in touch...

Posts like this are just odd, i was on most of the transfer related threads and I don’t remember folk “laughing” and “pointing fingers”.

Everyone wanted a striker, most understood there was no money to bring one in

Yes but according to the manager there was no money. Replace Dessers with Shankland and we win this. We’re in a situation where Hearts and the sheep have a better striker than us.

Thanks Beale.
It’s absolutely wild that we signed three strikers in the summer and a team in the bottom 6 have a better number 9 than us.

Clement seems to have become over reliant on Dessers when swapping him and Silva seemed to working well.

I do wonder if any thought was given to asking halsted, the other directors / those that had provided loans in past to provide additional funds given the circumstances/ 1st transfer window for new manager , (question for the forum with Bisgrove!)

The risk / reward margin seems even more glaring now on failing to get the striker we needed given the champions league money at stake (+ tims will be spending big in summer & will get good money for oriley, as they have much better track record on selling player assets / fees they get

You can maybe make a case that clement was being offered a forward on loan that wolves had paid 40million for and belief that at that value / expected quality level would translate into goals in Scotland
& feeling that could coach dessers to better showing / be enough to see us through , sadly on both counts those gambles not paid off

Due to gross financial mismanagement in the summer.
Sure, but the point remains we couldn’t sign anyone of any real value in January because there was no money to do so.

We got three loan signings in, all of them very young guys, one of whom won’t play for us again.

It was never likely we’d sign a real game changer in that window.

Back