Bears Abroad

Moved to New Brunswick Canada in 1989. Work in the shipyards.

Have been in Vancouver since 1996.
Drove a U-Haul van with with everything we owned, + the wife and kids from the East coast to the west coast ( one week). No job, relatives, etc just hoping for the best. Best thing I done.

Worked on cruise ships in ‘94 sailed NZ to Barcelona on first one then the bastarding Canberra out of southampton, got sick of it and left the job.

Moved to San Diego 95-96
New Orleans 97-98
San Francisco 98-00
San Diego 00-06
Houston 06-10
Dubai 10-11
Houston 11-16
San Diego 16-18
Houston 18-

Will probably end up near the beach in Florida with a summer home on either fife coast or rhode island area or both.

Worked on cruise ships in ‘94 sailed NZ to Barcelona on first one then the bastarding Canberra out of southampton, got sick of it and left the job.

Moved to San Diego 95-96
New Orleans 97-98
San Francisco 98-00
San Diego 00-06
Houston 06-10
Dubai 10-11
Houston 11-16
San Diego 16-18
Houston 18-

Will probably end up near the beach in Florida with a summer home on either fife coast or rhode island area or both.
Some life mate tremendous!

I moved to Houston with work almost 10 years ago. Lived in Cypress which is NW of Houston, had a good life there but recently combination of work life changing and my kids going off to college I decided to widen my job search in the US. Ended up taking a new job in Raleigh, North Carolina.

I've been here since 4th Jan, my wife and youngest daughter are still in Cypress and my oldest is in Lubbock at college. The original move from Scotland was highly stressful, aside from the practicalities of trying to settle in a new country, it was a lot tougher on the kids than we imagined it would have been. Settled now though although still consider Scotland home, (we all do). I've just signed a contract today to have a new home built here, hopefully this will be my last, but I've said that about the last three houses I bought.

Came to Rio de Janeiro on a martial arts training trip, met the current missus and ended up living here. Life is good!!

I'm curious, is that your wife's arse in your profile pic? Cracker, I love Rio, have made many visits for 'work'. Great city.

Been in Houston, Texas since the end of '99, came out with my work, oil & gas related. Wife said she'd give it 2 years max, we're both still here.
I do plan to spend summers back in Scotland to see family and friends, get out the Houston heat. Had planned it from last year but covid happened. It's great having a base back home but living somewhere warmer. Miss family, friends, my golf club (links course) and Rangers, not sure what order, probably not that one!

Back in 2005 I was watching Reporting Scotland news at 6pm one evening. They were reporting on the ACT Govt interviewing candidates in Glasgow for jobs in Oz.

Next day I called the Oz Embassy in London and was told the recruitment exercise was over but they gave me a number to call in Canberra. When I did they said they'd send out an application form anyway.

It took about 10 months but I ended up in Oz working for the ACT Govt. Lasted 4 years 1st time. Home for 3 then back for 3. Home for 2 then back for 2. Currently living in England but will probably head back to Oz eventually unless I can find a new planet.

I'm curious, is that your wife's arse in your profile pic? Cracker, I love Rio, have made many visits for 'work'. Great city.

Been in Houston, Texas since the end of '99, came out with my work, oil & gas related. Wife said she'd give it 2 years max, we're both still here.
I do plan to spend summers back in Scotland to see family and friends, get out the Houston heat. Had planned it from last year but covid happened. It's great having a base back home but living somewhere warmer. Miss family, friends, my golf club (links course) and Rangers, not sure what order, probably not that one!

One of the plus points of moving to Raleigh for me was the chance to have seasons again, but still have nice weather in the summer. However, it's been hammering it down constantly since I got here so I'm rethinking that logic, feels like I'm back in Glasgow

I've lived in Egypt, the Caribbean, Pakistan, Romania, South Korea and Serbia for at least 2 years in each country over the past 30 years and the only constant has been follow following.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. Still as passionate now - if not more - as I was back in the 80s when I went to every game home and away. Never leaves you no matter where you are in the world.

For those jealous about folk living in sunnier climes, yep that's great but you can never replace being able to go to games and surrounded by fellow Bears (in normal times).

One of the plus points of moving to Raleigh for me was the chance to have seasons again, but still have nice weather in the summer. However, it's been hammering it down constantly since I got here so I'm rethinking that logic, feels like I'm back in Glasgow

Not been to Raleigh, meant to be very nice, I like the East Coast, my kids are at / or went to Uni there, Richmond and DC.
I figure that by spending June -> Sept in Scotland, I'll see enough of the seasons in those 4 months and can enjoy the Texas weather the rest of the year, this week being the exception!
Might retire to Spain or Portugal, subject to where the kids end up, got one either side of the pond currently.

Left Glasgow on 31/12/10

Travelled for a while, 9 months in India, 6 in Thailand, 3 in Turkey/Iran and 3 months in SE Africa.

Started working as a TEFL teacher;
2 years in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.
2 years in Leipzig.
2 years in Bratislava.
Now settled in Copenhagen.
Covid has been a bastard, but can see the light now.

Met my missus in KG, best thing that happened.

Last edited:

Moved to San Diego 95-96
New Orleans 97-98
San Francisco 98-00
San Diego 00-06
Houston 06-10
Dubai 10-11
Houston 11-16
San Diego 16-18
Houston 18-

is there good money in the cruise-ships or did you meet a few old widowers

Was having a chuckle at some of the stories on the dangerous animals thread and it dawned on me how many on here live over seas.

Any good tales of how you ended up wherever you are in the world?

Boring cnut here - I live ten mins from where I did as a kid.:)
Live in Florida via Chicago 55 years

is there good money in the cruise-ships or did you meet a few old widowers

Decent tax free money on the ships yes. Next to no costs when you are sailing and don’t have a mortgage at home.

There were plenty of stories of crew meeting minted divorcées and getting hitched. My gaffer on the island princess was one of those, he was from Manchester area but was then based out of Newport Beach, California. He was a alcoholic and a wanker to work for.

I myself got involved with an American lassie who was ships shop staff while on that first ship. Some of them were on six month contracts and got very lonely :))

the Canberra was pretty shite as it was all brits and has very traditional merchant navy approach to keeping officers (me) out of the crew bar where all the fun was going on. Officers mess was shyte tho there were plenty women officers (mostly pursers). That crew/officer separation was not an issue on the first ship.

Finished Uni in 2010 and after so many unsuccessful job applications, I was to the point of applying for any job. Came to the conclusion that if I was going to do any job I might as well do it in another country.

Did the whole backpacking experience in Australia for a couple of years and was there I met my now Kiwi wife. Her job finished the same time my visa was expiring so moved to NZ in 2012 and have been in Auckland since.

I might not be as passionate as some other fans out here as I struggle to get up at 3am to watch some games against the garbage of the League. European games are great as they are on Friday morning either 7 or 9am.
In winter it's just a 11 hr time difference so early kick offs are watchable at 11/11.30pm. In summer though that starts to be 1/1.30am so again depends on who we are playing.

Have 6 weeks off soon though with Paternity leave so every game will be watched no matter what time they are on since sleep deprivation is guaranteed anyway :)

Moved to San Diego 95-96
New Orleans 97-98
San Francisco 98-00
San Diego 00-06
Houston 06-10
Dubai 10-11
Houston 11-16
San Diego 16-18
Houston 18-

Its you, isn’t it ?

Decent tax free money on the ships yes. Next to no costs when you are sailing and don’t have a mortgage at home.

There were plenty of stories of crew meeting minted divorcées and getting hitched. My gaffer on the island princess was one of those, he was from Manchester area but was then based out of Newport Beach, California. He was a alcoholic and a wanker to work for.

I myself got involved with an American lassie who was ships shop staff while on that first ship. Some of them were on six month contracts and got very lonely :))

the Canberra was pretty shite as it was all brits and has very traditional merchant navy approach to keeping officers (me) out of the crew bar where all the fun was going on. Officers mess was shyte tho there were plenty women officers (mostly pursers). That crew/officer separation was not an issue on the first ship.
Been on a couple of cruises over past few years. Thought I’d hate it but they were actually great. Waking up in a new place to explore each day. The officers look to have great jobs - bet you had a ball back in the day mate.

I arrived in New York in early 2001.

I was working for a UK company to set up a small US office. They never did the paperwork so I would come in on a 90-day tourist visa before returning home for a couple of weeks. Then I'd return on the tourist visa.

After 9/11, things were scrutinised more closely and I was soon taken into Immigration at JFK for an interview.

I made the move permanent in October 2003. Ah, being in your twenties in NYC. Great days!

Been on a couple of cruises over past few years. Thought I’d hate it but they were actually great. Waking up in a new place to explore each day. The officers look to have great jobs - bet you had a ball back in the day mate.

good memories but they have a saying on the cruise ships:

Every night is a Saturday night but every morning is a Monday morning.

very true, there’s no “my car didn’t start” excuse when your work is a 30 second walk away :)

Aye, the pub where we sang a few party songs in after we beat the manky mob
Good times, eh?
I heard the RSC is closing down?

after the 3-0 title win at torbett towers! jukebox had “we are the champions” on repeat for a couple of hours :))

yep, the club is done after a 20yr stint. Sad to hear that.

I was on holiday in Florida just before heading to Vancouver. Seen a job for marine electrician .....faxed the guy a resume......next thing I’m on a brand new Holland America ship fixing faults and putting in LED floor exit lights. All under the table.......all over the Caribbean and also up to New York. Offered a job with HA but had the kids and wanted to try Vancouver first.

Stopped off at the cayman island and knew a mate was there working in a hotel...eventually found him, chapped his door ......the look on his face

after the 3-0 title win at torbett towers! jukebox had “we are the champions” on repeat for a couple of hours :))

yep, the club is done after a 20yr stint. Sad to hear that.
Brilliant wasn’t it, and the Vegas convention too. I’m 9.5 years off the booze now, totally calmed down
Yes, sad about the club

Been in Florida 31 years now...member of the original Florida RSC based in Ft Lauderdale, then founder member of the Naples Loyal RSC since 2003. Enjoying it but the call of home is getting stronger, so counting the days til I retire to Devon (hoping 4 years or so).
Where are you guys now or are the bars in some kind of lockdown?
Long time to have been in Florida to come back to blighty,you got folks in Devon?
Sorry GG,seen your replies lter in the thread
Met you a couple of times in the English pub? and the twisted spoke?

Last edited:
Been in Florida 31 years now...member of the original Florida RSC based in Ft Lauderdale, then founder member of the Naples Loyal RSC since 2003. Enjoying it but the call of home is getting stronger, so counting the days til I retire to Devon (hoping 4 years or so).

Grew up as a army brat, then joined up myself for 10 years, so never felt like I had a home town as such. Was in Hong Kong for the hanover to China and decided to PVR from the Army, moved to Canada a month later and been here since. Unlike the other guys, I cant say I have any urges to return full time to the UK, as I now have the passport, tee shirt and dodgy accent.

Moved to New Brunswick Canada in 1989. Work in the shipyards.

Have been in Vancouver since 1996.
Drove a U-Haul van with with everything we owned, + the wife and kids from the East coast to the west coast ( one week). No job, relatives, etc just hoping for the best. Best thing I done.
some drive mate

Apart from UK I've lived in Spain, Florida (Fort Lauderdale), Sydney and Vanuatu.
Back in UK now, but still have land in Vanuatu (Wife is from there- Don't even ask) and will retire out there, sitting on a beach, diving and drinking cold beer watching Stevie G win Terry Munro for the Teds.

Was having a chuckle at some of the stories on the dangerous animals thread and it dawned on me how many on here live over seas.

Any good tales of how you ended up wherever you are in the world?

Boring cnut here - I live ten mins from where I did as a kid.:)
I’ve been in the US since 92, I love it here but I do feel the pull back to the uk the older I get.

While I have the appropriate audience I would like to share this.....

I have a season ticket at the famous that I have never sat in. I donate it to less fortunate fans, who, for their own reasons cannot afford to go to Ibrox.

I was brought up by my grandparents who didn’t have a lot of money. My grandfather worked in the yard and my grandmother worked as a dinner lady. We didn’t have a lot of extra to pay to get in to see the Rangers but when possible I did get to go,

I have a season ticket which is donated to Koas Dream foundation. It’s a 100% not for profit ran by “the people” who give my ticket to those who are less fortunate.

I hope that someone living overseas like me might want to participate in this foundation and give people the Dream of watching the Rangers as I do.
I’m fortunate that I can afford to do this, I wish others others would too.
thanks for reading but it’s important that we give as well as take the great times.

I do it because I hope there’s someone out there, maybe like me when I was young that would love to go but can’t. Or maybe because of ill health or maybe military who can’t get a ticket. I just wish more would participate to share the experience

Last edited:
Back