Bears Abroad

Left Glasgow in 1995 and currently living in Dallas, Texas. Will return to the UK at some point. Miss the culture and community of UK and Europe. Texas is not for me.

One of the plus points of moving to Raleigh for me was the chance to have seasons again, but still have nice weather in the summer. However, it's been hammering it down constantly since I got here so I'm rethinking that logic, feels like I'm back in Glasgow
I was in South Carolina a few years back in October and the weather was marvellous. There was a Rangers club in NC, I think it was Raleigh, not sure if it's still on the go, but they did have the games.

Lived in Norway for 5 years loved it but expensive also spent 3 years living in Nigeria warri then port hardcourt wouldn’t recommend that to anyone.
back in Glasgow but will no doubt be on the move again at some point

Moved to Australia ,Melbourne in 1981 there were no Rangers supporters clubs in Australia so myself and another mate from Partick started one the MGRSC registered in 82 with the Rangers supporters association.
In 1983 we registered as a loyal branch at Ibrox and we also helped with assistance, visitations and information to help get other Australian clubs on the go and the MGRSC is still going strong that's why we are named Australia's number 1.

Last edited:
Left in 75 with the plan of travelling for 8-10 years, 2 years in South Africa 2 years in Australia and NZ and Canada and possibly USA. Ended up 20 years in South Africa 22 years in NZ and on my 3rd year in Australia.
Don’t think I will get to Canada now and definitely won’t be going back to the UK.

I arrived in New York in early 2001.

I was working for a UK company to set up a small US office. They never did the paperwork so I would come in on a 90-day tourist visa before returning home for a couple of weeks. Then I'd return on the tourist visa.

After 9/11, things were scrutinised more closely and I was soon taken into Immigration at JFK for an interview.

I made the move permanent in October 2003. Ah, being in your twenties in NYC. Great days!
Great city. We normally go a couple of times a year to visit my father in law.

Lived in Norway for 5 years loved it but expensive also spent 3 years living in Nigeria warri then port hardcourt wouldn’t recommend that to anyone.
back in Glasgow but will no doubt be on the move again at some point
My wife is Igbo so I have been to Lagos and near Enugu. It’s certainly different.

Came to Ontario in 1974 just at the end of the last great influx of people from the UK.
(mid 60s to mid 70s). The football was basically dominated by Brits.and I had a great 10-15 years and met a lot of good people through the football.

Of course in recent years I’ve settled with kids and now grandkids. Actually now on the verge of retiring and going kicking and screaming into my “golden years”.

No plans to relocate but planning to travel when and if the pandemic ends.

Moved to Orlando, Florida in 1989. Only football games we could get was on BBC shortwave radio!! Got in touch with a satellite guy in Canada who said he could get me the Rangers games, providing I had a 10 foot dish!!! Long story short, I started providing games all over the USA and phone was ringing off the hook. Bahamas, South America, and even the biggest Tims club in the USA. Provided all the Old Firm games for a while, and one of the first calls I got was from the Tudor Inn Pub in Fort Lauderdale, the home of the original Florida RSC. A short time after that, together with a few other faithful Bears, we started Orlando RSC. Still here, and enjoying the sunshine!

Went to Uni in the US (Penn State, arsehole remained unviolated). Met an American Girl and ended up getting married and staying here.

Got divorced and went on my Travels working in the Oil and Gas Industry. Spent a year in Kazakhstan where I met my current wife.

Been full time in the US since 2008, Lived in Dallas, Houston, Lafayette Louisiana and currently in Indiana. Looks like I might be moving to Tampa, Florida in the next few months.

Went to Uni in the US (Penn State, arsehole remained unviolated). Met an American Girl and ended up getting married and staying here.

Got divorced and went on my Travels working in the Oil and Gas Industry. Spent a year in Kazakhstan where I met my current wife.

Been full time in the US since 2008, Lived in Dallas, Houston, Lafayette Louisiana and currently in Indiana. Looks like I might be moving to Tampa, Florida in the next few months.
In the states there are loads of towns called Lafayette.

Another one for Abu Dhabi. Since 2006.

South Africa / Zambia for 3 years

Scotland was just too cold, constantly, and wet.

Last edited:
Not been to Raleigh, meant to be very nice, I like the East Coast, my kids are at / or went to Uni there, Richmond and DC.
I figure that by spending June -> Sept in Scotland, I'll see enough of the seasons in those 4 months and can enjoy the Texas weather the rest of the year, this week being the exception!
Might retire to Spain or Portugal, subject to where the kids end up, got one either side of the pond currently.

Hahaha very true, I absolutely love Texas weather, I never complained about the extreme summer heat, the sun was still shining, and people are the better for it. I got to like walking out of a restaurant at 9pm at night and feeling like I was walking into a convection oven. My favorite time of year in Texas is Sep - Dec, football is back, weather is idyllic, Thanksgiving and Christmas on the horizon, just the best time of year.

This past week has been incredible, happy to say we seem to have survived it without a burst pipe, we're selling our house in the next couple of months and I didn't fancy big repair bills ahead of that, wife got very excited about the fact we got running water back yesterday.

I was in South Carolina a few years back in October and the weather was marvellous. There was a Rangers club in NC, I think it was Raleigh, not sure if it's still on the go, but they did have the games.

This past few months I've stared listening to Clyde 1 phone in podcasts on my way home from work, there's been a few callers from NC. I need to check that out.

This past few months I've stared listening to Clyde 1 phone in podcasts on my way home from work, there's been a few callers from NC. I need to check that out.
This was back in 2004. I actually got in touch with a guy from the club back then as Rangers were playing them on the saturday, when I was meant to be flying to South Carolina on the friday before. As it happens, my connection from ny to sc was cancelled till the saturday and I had to forget about it and stay the night in ny.

The guy was brand new and said I would be welcome. Good few years ago now, but worth checking out and I'm pretty sure it was Raleigh.

Left Scotland at 25 in 2002.
Spent a year in Hungary, 3 years in China, 4 months in Saipan, 10 years in Philippines and the rest in Vietnam and Cambodia.

Currently working in Vietnam and got an apartment in Saigon. Family are house back in Philippines and that's where I will likely retire. The virus has cut down my weekend home trips from around 25 a year to 2 which is tough just now.

Still catch all the weekend games. The 3am (8pm) Euro kick offs are about the only ones I miss.

This was back in 2004. I actually got in touch with a guy from the club back then as Rangers were playing them on the saturday, when I was meant to be flying to South Carolina on the friday before. As it happens, my connection from ny to sc was cancelled till the saturday and I had to forget about it and stay the night in ny.

The guy was brand new and said I would be welcome. Good few years ago now, but worth checking out and I'm pretty sure it was Raleigh.
It probably was Raleigh. Quite a lot of Brits ended up out there due to IBM having a site in Raleigh. Mainly from the IBM Greenock site.

Been in LA since 87' plan was to come for a year with my best mate (one of them) and drive/work cross country then come home, never did it..but got a job right away working in restaurants and bars, and then eventually fell into the film business which I still work in today.
Worked illegally for the first four years then luckily won my green card in the AA1 government lottery program which was open to UK citizens at the time....
Long standing member of the LA True Blues, and this past year with the bars closed we get together on the golf course almost every weekend and also member zoom meet during the games ..
We are allowed back at the pub this weekend for Sunday's game (outside tent with masks etc) so looking forward to having a few beers with the boys again..

Feel the same as @gorams_glayva re call of home when I retire, although not sure where yet..

WATFP...
Here's to 55

Amazing that. This fella became a Hollywood Producer/Agent for Sylvester Stallone.

My brother knew this chap when he was robbing bikes by mine, in the 80s and my brother was in the same year as his younger brother.

I'm not sure where Templeton came from as he was just known as Kingy :)

The army have now started shooting dead protesters here in the past few hours. Literally 4 streets from my hotel. I am hoping this news is reaching the outside world. and the chocolate teapot that is the UN takes immediate action.

The army have now started shooting dead protesters here in the past few hours. Literally 4 streets from my hotel. I am hoping this news is reaching the outside world. and the chocolate teapot that is the UN takes immediate action.
I wish they’d shoot the ones where I live too

Moved to Canada in 2012, currently enjoying life outside Toronto.

As much as I miss Ibrox, very happy to living in a part of the world where the summer is an actual summer!

That said, it's snowing outside.
Where you based, mate? I'm outside T.O (up in Aurora). Came over 2007. Don't regret it for a minute other than missing Ibrox every 2 weeks.

Been in Florida 31 years now...member of the original Florida RSC based in Ft Lauderdale, then founder member of the Naples Loyal RSC since 2003. Enjoying it but the call of home is getting stronger, so counting the days til I retire to Devon (hoping 4 years or so).
You working out there mate? I visited Ft Lauderdale a few years back and remember walking around thinking I’d love to live there. I was out there inspecting a ship for a potential owner to purchase.

Last edited:
Down in Burlington at the moment, at least until the kid finishes school.

Yeah no regrets here either, great part of the world to live and the rest of the country isn't too Shabby either!
Do you visit the Burlington RSC.

Used to pick a US State, book a hotel for the weekend, pick up a hire car on the Monday and drive around for a couple of weeks. Laterly booked a hotel online but before that you could pick up a freebie magazine with discount hotels and just headed for one of theirs. Even saw one of our games vs Hearts in the Blue Room New York. Best way to see US and Canada.

moved to Buffalo, NY in 2009 got married to an American girl same year (after 5yrs dating) became an American citizen December last year)

Met a few Scots in the area but not sure of their affiliation. Worked with a guy from Ireland. Man Utd fan (and the mhob) but top bloke none the less

Back