Bears Abroad

You working out there mate? I visited Ft Lauderdale a few years back and remember walking around thinking I’d love to live there. I was out there inspecting a ship for a potential owner to purchase.

i’d have moved to that area to work shoreside with one of the cruise lines had the schools not been shyte. Most of the europeans working there were sending their kids to private schools at their own considerable expense.

Where are you guys now or are the bars in some kind of lockdown?
Long time to have been in Florida to come back to blighty,you got folks in Devon?
Sorry GG,seen your replies lter in the thread
Met you a couple of times in the English pub? and the twisted spoke?
hey mate....we now meet at The Eagles Club. Been there 3 years now, brilliant place. Everything is open in FL.

You working out there mate? I visited Ft Lauderdale a few years back and remember walking around thinking I’d love to live there. I was out there inspecting a ship for a potential owner to purchase.
I`ve been in Naples all the time, but would drive to Ft L every weekend as it was the only place pretty much in the entire state to watch Rangers live in the 90`s.

What’s your story?
Sydney born and bred. I have some distant Scottish heritage, but nothing in the past century.
Grew up in the 9IAR era and was absolutely taken with the success of that side. Then when I learned about the heritage from a Scottish friend, I knew it was absolutely my club.
Started going to RSC nights (it was very hard to otherwise watch the games back then) when I was 18 and just continued on ever since.
I don't follow any other teams or any other leagues. It's just Rangers for me.

Sydney born and bred. I have some distant Scottish heritage, but nothing in the past century.
Grew up in the 9IAR era and was absolutely taken with the success of that side. Then when I learned about the heritage from a Scottish friend, I knew it was absolutely my club.
Started going to RSC nights (it was very hard to otherwise watch the games back then) when I was 18 and just continued on ever since.
I don't follow any other teams or any other leagues. It's just Rangers for me.
My kind of guy, I have a few friends down Sydney way
The Moffat Brothers and big Scotty

moved to Buffalo, NY in 2009 got married to an American girl same year (after 5yrs dating) became an American citizen December last year)

Met a few Scots in the area but not sure of their affiliation. Worked with a guy from Ireland. Man Utd fan (and the mhob) but top bloke none the less
Moved to Buffalo in 2012 (wife is from here too), citizen in 2016. Congrats on the citizenship!

Born and raised in Northern Ontario Canada, moved down here just outside of Toronto with my now ex-wife. I have to admit that I am a Johnny Come Lately to Rangers as I began following the club after the criminal booting down to the 4th tier. I started reading RangersMedia (I know, I know) and then found this place in the last couple of years. Although I am a late convert to Rangers I hate those Green and Grey bastards like I have been a fan for 50 years!

Moved to Orlando, Florida in 1989. Only football games we could get was on BBC shortwave radio!! Got in touch with a satellite guy in Canada who said he could get me the Rangers games, providing I had a 10 foot dish!!! Long story short, I started providing games all over the USA and phone was ringing off the hook. Bahamas, South America, and even the biggest Tims club in the USA. Provided all the Old Firm games for a while, and one of the first calls I got was from the Tudor Inn Pub in Fort Lauderdale, the home of the original Florida RSC. A short time after that, together with a few other faithful Bears, we started Orlando RSC. Still here, and enjoying the sunshine!
Great story mate and it's that dedication that makes us the greatest fans of the greatest club in the world.:))

I’m currently spending half my time between home and Duhok province in Kurdistan.. Got my local work colleagues asking about Rangers every other day, they are mostly into EPL football but due to Gerrard they all have an interest in our game too.

Been in NZ 7 years now , had my citizen ceremony on Monday Past . One of the best decisions ive ever made . Live about 3 min walk from this photo .

Life is much more relaxed , much less of a rat race .
38-327123.jpg

In 2009, I PMed a poster on FF. His username was Kim Jong Il and he was teaching English in South Korea with his wife. Some of you might remember him travelling up to the British Veteran Cemetery and documenting it in the lounge.

He explained it all to me, how to get out there and sort out a job and visa in advance.

I spent about 18 months there. My girlfriend at the time worked for LG, and was transferred to their Amsterdam offices, I tagged along and found work in elearning. We spent 3 years there, got married, and then went backpacking for a year. We liked Hong Kong and settled here in 2015. Have lived here since. I now work in Special Education. We have a son, too.

Forever grateful to the FF poster who got me started, no idea if he's still on here. Was a great decision and changed my life forever. Sometimes I reflect on it all and it doesn't feel real, life has exceeded my expectations by some distance.

I do miss getting to Ibrox mind you.

Good luck everyone :)

In 2009, I PMed a poster on FF. His username was Kim Jong Il and he was teaching English in South Korea with his wife. Some of you might remember him travelling up to the British Veteran Cemetery and documenting it in the lounge.

He explained it all to me, how to get out there and sort out a job and visa in advance.

I spent about 18 months there. My girlfriend at the time worked for LG, and was transferred to their Amsterdam offices, I tagged along and found work in elearning. We spent 3 years there, got married, and then went backpacking for a year. We liked Hong Kong and settled here in 2015. Have lived here since. I now work in Special Education. We have a son, too.

Forever grateful to the FF poster who got me started, no idea if he's still on here. Was a great decision and changed my life forever. Sometimes I reflect on it all and it doesn't feel real, life has exceeded my expectations by some distance.

I do miss getting to Ibrox mind you.

Good luck everyone :)
Similar story , Followed Gordon Watson and his mums journey to NZ on Twitter , ended up meeting up with him in Glasgow and kept in contact . Landed in NZ and stayed with him for a week and still in regular contact today . Gent of a man .

Been in NZ 7 years now , had my citizen ceremony on Monday Past . One of the best decisions ive ever made . Live about 3 min walk from this photo .

Life is much more relaxed , much less of a rat race .
38-327123.jpg

Photo looks great.

Is it too remote though? Do you have decent options on your door step?

Call centre?

Always intrigued to why people end up in certain places. :)

I work in banking. Regional Director for Change The Bank projects, I have been managing EMEA for the last couple of years, we are building out a team in APAC, and i’ve been asked to lead the build out, very favourable ex pat terms, so I thought why not. Looking forward to it.

I work in banking. Regional Director for Change The Bank projects, I have been managing EMEA for the last couple of years, we are building out a team in APAC, and i’ve been asked to lead the build out, very favourable ex pat terms, so I thought why not. Looking forward to it.

You got family or heading out single?

The upper end women look phenomenal, imo.

Would love to see what an expat lifestyle is like in Mumbai.

You got family or heading out single?

The upper end women look phenomenal, imo.

Would love to see what an expat lifestyle is like in Mumbai.

I split with the Mrs a few year back, my kids live with her in Glasgow. The agreement I have with my employer is to build the team out over the next 2/3 years, and then return to Glasgow (i'm in London at the moment).

I have mates living out there already, they live like kings, and yes, the upper crust Indian woman are phenomenal :D

I would imagine i'll spend a lot of my spare time in Goa, only an hour flight away.

I split with the Mrs a few year back, my kids live with her in Glasgow. The agreement I have with my employer is to build the team out over the next 2/3 years, and then return to Glasgow (i'm in London at the moment).

I have mates living out there already, they live like kings, and yes, the upper crust Indian woman are phenomenal :D

I would imagine i'll spend a lot of my spare time in Goa, only an hour flight away.

I have visions of some great night clubs, packed full of beautiful, wealthy looking Indian women.

Sounds like a great opportunity. Will follow this one.

Like the idea of India at some point.

Left home in 2004 to go to Taiwan for a year to teach English. Ended up staying a bit longer than intended B-D

Moved to Chengdu in 2007 and been here ever since. Been a student, teacher, bar manager, DJ, and for the last 6 years owned my own business. Missus is local and we have a boy together. Don't see us leaving anytime soon.

Moved to New Brunswick Canada in 1989. Work in the shipyards.

Have been in Vancouver since 1996.
Drove a U-Haul van with with everything we owned, + the wife and kids from the East coast to the west coast ( one week). No job, relatives, etc just hoping for the best. Best thing I done.
Loved Vancouver when I was there with work. Does it not have a lot of rainy weather though?

Left home in 2004 to go to Taiwan for a year to teach English. Ended up staying a bit longer than intended B-D

Moved to Chengdu in 2007 and been here ever since. Been a student, teacher, bar manager, DJ, and for the last 6 years owned my own business. Missus is local and we have a boy together. Don't see us leaving anytime soon.
Mate, I think I met you in Chengdu. We watched the Kilmarnock game to win the league in your bar? There were three of us plus my girlfriend. The other older bloke had bought champagne. This ring a bell, or have i got the wrong person?

The opportunity sounds class. Would love to do a couple of years in India.

Last time I was in Mumbai, I went to a great pub called the Woodside Inn. When I went upstairs to use the bathroom I walked past a table of two Western guys and two gorgeous Indian women. I was jealous AF, and I write that someone who has enjoyed plenty of exotic women well out of my league (stealthy). The Indian guys I was with suggested they might be brass, but I didn't get that vibe.

Get on Gleeden when you're over there. It's an infidelity app and very popular in India with bored housewifes

Back in Scotland after 3.5 years in Austria. Lived in France too. Austria was much better than France for the Rangers - Vienna True Blues obviously known for the Maribor trip and Rapid away. A few guys dotted around elsewhere. Saw Salzburg batter Celtic before we beat Rapid at home. Then Rapid away was a great trip and only a wee train ride home.

Met the missus there who’s from NZ/Aus way, probably go there next. Timezone thing might be tough but I think the lack of language issues will be more preferable to living in a place where you’re not fluent.

Take it you live in Tampa, love that part of Florida, been in the Tampa RSC a good few times and always had a great time while on Golf trips to Clearwater with the troops from Canada.
I buy yearly subscription to RTV don't go near the club any more.To risky with the drink live about 45 mins from club

Mate, I think I met you in Chengdu. We watched the Kilmarnock game to win the league in your bar? There were three of us plus my girlfriend. The other older bloke had bought champagne. This ring a bell, or have i got the wrong person?
haha! That's amazing! Leg & Whistle Loyal!

Worked on cruise ships in ‘94 sailed NZ to Barcelona on first one then the bastarding Canberra out of southampton, got sick of it and left the job.

Moved to San Diego 95-96
New Orleans 97-98
San Francisco 98-00
San Diego 00-06
Houston 06-10
Dubai 10-11
Houston 11-16
San Diego 16-18
Houston 18-

Will probably end up near the beach in Florida with a summer home on either fife coast or rhode island area or both.
They will eventually get you. :p

Photo looks great.

Is it too remote though? Do you have decent options on your door step?
No Traffic im 30 mins form the CBD - about 10 mins form the village called Titirangi what has a few pubs , shop , couple of restaurants

I do enjoy being a bit further out - cant hear anything apart form the trees and the birds .

Worked on cruise ships in ‘94 sailed NZ to Barcelona on first one then the bastarding Canberra out of southampton, got sick of it and left the job.

Moved to San Diego 95-96
New Orleans 97-98
San Francisco 98-00
San Diego 00-06
Houston 06-10
Dubai 10-11
Houston 11-16
San Diego 16-18
Houston 18-

Will probably end up near the beach in Florida with a summer home on either fife coast or rhode island area or both.

Some great places there.

What do you do?

Nah, worked in Calgary on and off for a few months and loved it. Stayed a few weekends to see Banff, Canmore, Jasper etc.

I'd move over that side of the Country without hesitation.
Same, if it wasn't for my daughter currently going through school, we would already be there or somewhere in B.C.

Back