Club 1872 AGM - 7 people attended?

I paid in for a while , but C1872 is a busted flush now sadly. Those in charge need to go, for it to have any chance of doing what it set out to do.
Surely they know that their position is untenable. Folk will not put money into C1872 as long as they hang on. It could and should have been so much better.

Maybe you haven't noticed but Club 1872 Board Members changed the rules so that they are the only Members, everyone else is a Contributor
Put it to an online vote, which most people didn't vote for and has steadfastly refused to say how many vote on things but just give % of those that even bother to vote
They have destroyed the Org
I would suggest that having only the board as members is contrary to the wider objectives of a CIC organisation. This is something that the Regulator of CIC could be asked to look at given how many have contributed cash, as members at the time, compared to the number of board members.

matora-zadruga-histerija.gif

It would be helpful to post C1872’s statutory documents on line so that they are available to all those, past and present, who have contributed.

I would suggest that having only the board as members is contrary to the wider objectives of a CIC organisation. This is something that the Regulator of CIC could be asked to look at given how many have contributed cash, as members at the time, compared to the number of board members.
This is an extract from the Regulator’s guidance on Corporate Governance.

“In all companies, but more so with CICs, members should not regard delegation to directors as being the same as abdication of responsibility. It is important that the members should monitor the performance of the CIC and the directors, for example, to satisfy themselves that the company continues to meet the community interest test and fully involves the community in its activities and development”

Difficult to see how this works if Directors and Members are the one and the same. Do we know if C1872 continues to meet the Community Interest Test?

Club 1872 certainly doesn’t speak for me as a fan.

There will be more supporters follow and have engagement with Follow Follow and Heart and Hand than they do Club 1872 and I’d suggest would be a far better vehicle for fans to hang their hat on.

As Andy McGowan is saying there is a fine line between a pro club group and a pro fan group and then added in with that the different dynamics at play with the power structure with Dave King. Any Rangers fans group needs to work with all groups but still stay a bit of a distance from them for objectivity. You can’t blow smoke up the arse of the club all the time if you need to criticise them for things that are not right. That also goes for the other folks like fans and King

Well this thread has been an eye opener and better than any survey in terms of feedback of why members stop contributing. Seems there is a major trust and belief issue rather than just apathy as the guy in the video suggested.

Maybe if everyone started contributing again simply to allow them to make their thoughts known at the next meeting there might be some change?

Well this thread has been an eye opener and better than any survey in terms of feedback of why members stop contributing. Seems there is a major trust and belief issue rather than just apathy as the guy in the video suggested.

Maybe if everyone started contributing again simply to allow them to make their thoughts known at the next meeting there might be some change?
It doesn't matter how many people contribute, it's a closed shop.

The only people making any decisions are the C1872 board (and Dave King).

Or am I wrong on that?

No chance.

The regulator has (IIRC) 3 full time staff. And the last time I looked they have more than 27,000 CICs to regulate. That’s about 12 minutes per CIC per year, ignoring admin time. The regulator gets asked to look at things and, frankly, they have neither resources nor inclination to look too deeply into them. A cursory note to the directors requesting an explanation and a reply to the person complaining that if they believe there to have been criminal acts then to contact the police.

That said… I don’t actually doubt that the December 2019 articles are valid from a strictly legal perspective.

There are two issues at hand here. The ability and stubbornness of a failing board, and the apathy of the remaining membership.
Unfortunately the only way to overcome the board is by members to challenge how they operate.
As Ive said previously this doesn't happen. Strangely people keep paying money in and don't hold the board to account so here we are year on year discussing the issues with c1872, but no further forward.

There are two issues at hand here. The ability and stubbornness of a failing board, and the apathy of the remaining membership.
Unfortunately the only way to overcome the board is by members to challenge how they operate.
As Ive said previously this doesn't happen. Strangely people keep paying money in and don't hold the board to account so here we are year on year discussing the issues with c1872, but no further forward.
You can't challenge them, did you leave before they altered the rules?

Can someone, in plain terms, explain how to become a director. Who is eligible and who decides, who votes, where, when and how often does this voting take place.
What is the quorum for such a vote to be valid. 3?, 100?, 500? What?

It is hard to do that when their AGM is barely publicised and the only other form of protest is to vote against reelection, but to have alternatives they need 20 proposers!!!

Spot on, they love bad news.
They seem a miserable bunch.

I am a Lifetime member (through RangersFirst) so I still get the emails and access to the votes, etc.

As a financial guy here in the USA (and a business owner internationally), I have asked them to release info related to monthly/annual donations, financial statements, reserves, etc in order to assess the situation. They won't provide it and instead, think that if they cause enough drama, that the "outrage" will draw people into supporting C1872 again. To me, that says a lot about their honest outlook on the typical Rangers fan.

I am a Lifetime member (through RangersFirst) so I still get the emails and access to the votes, etc.

As a financial guy here in the USA (and a business owner internationally), I have asked them to release info related to monthly/annual donations, financial statements, reserves, etc in order to assess the situation. They won't provide it and instead, think that if they cause enough drama, that the "outrage" will draw people into supporting C1872 again. To me, that says a lot about their honest outlook on the typical Rangers fan.
They will get the odd upturn , however the membership will have a steady decline over the piece.
As Mr Marshall stated , the dilution in shares will mean they will have a very low percentage of the next few years.
A fans organisation in some capacity is needed but with various formats possibly.

It is hard to do that when their AGM is barely publicised and the only other form of protest is to vote against reelection, but to have alternatives they need 20 proposers!!!
Firstly, they’ve never held a proper AGM (I don’t think they need to, nor do they need their finances to be independently audited). It’s apparently in the rules relating to CICs. However, given the large cash sums and shares involved, I think it would be prudent of them to do both these things.
I stood a couple of years ago and I got the required number of proposers. The reason I put in the application was because Chris and Laura told me that they already had someone earmarked for the vacant position and they didn’t want a contested election. By standing I made them have that contested election.
I didn’t get elected which didn’t surprise me as I don’t trust their methods and I’m sure votes are not accurate. Just look at the very first election where 15 people stood for 7 places. Spookily enough it was the 7 that Chris wanted on the Board.

Dave King and Club1872 have went very quiet since the AGM.
There's an old firm cup final round the corner. He'll be "jetting in" soon no doubt.

It’s quite ironic that the purpose behind c1872 is to protect the club from being run into the ground either wilfully or through neglect.
And if it is unable to operate itself how can it possibly be trusted to maintain 25%+1 in RIFC?

I was in right at the start of Rangers First when the club were in the shit and it took of like a rocket, i
happily paid my 18.72 monthly with the people running it with the best interests of Rangers at

heart.

They did say they would stay as an independent group but for whatever reason that did not happen.
I may be wrong but they merged (were gobbled up by club1872)? and that is the month i cancelled my subscription.

The regulator has (IIRC) 3 full time staff. And the last time I looked they have more than 27,000 CICs to regulate. That’s about 12 minutes per CIC per year, ignoring admin time. The regulator gets asked to look at things and, frankly, they have neither resources nor inclination to look too deeply into them. A cursory note to the directors requesting an explanation and a reply to the person complaining that if they believe there to have been criminal acts then to contact the police.

That said… I don’t actually doubt that the December 2019 articles are valid from a strictly legal perspective.

it’s gone up to 6 staff but I take your point. But has anyone tried? How many CICs face the issues that Club1872 contributors do? And for assets valued at £4m+?

I'm really sorry to say it as I had high hopes that Club1872 would be the perfect vehicle for supporter engagement/partnership with the club and was a member and regular contributor but just couldn't handle the petty infighting that was going on and stopped my membership about a year ago.
What a shame that such a great idea and initiative ate itself from the inside out due to over inflated egos, petty squabbles and a lack of direction.
:(

It doesnt help out with contributions in general people are experiencing high inflation, increased mortgage rates etc.
Memberships are going one way- down.

I still wonder if James Blair and Chris Graham have that strong relationship. If you ever went up to their office in the Copland Stand before any match day then James would always be there.

I thought the board were going to give us an update on relations with C1872 after the end of last season
Did I miss it ?

Robert, what is the new rules, sorry I've kept up with some of the thread but not all.

Is there no process for voting current board members off c1872, don't they have to seek re election?
No, they havean iron grip on it, not that it will do them any good

Back