If youve played over 75% of fixtures the title can be awarded?

Calling BS.

Only thing I can see in the rules to support their argument is

1. The Club occupying position one in the League at the end of a Season shall be declared the Champion Club of the League
If the SPFL decided that the end of the season is now, then maybe on a technicality. I am sure it would be challenged though.

For the relegation clause it states after the completion of all games but it does not say this for the champion club. So I could see them trying to award a winner of each league with no promotions or relegations. Again, not without a challenge (hopefully).

So if the season was declared ended after 2 games they'd be declared Champions? Or 8 games? Or 20 games? Plenty of scope for a legal argument.

I think it's time to start claiming the war titles then. We occupied position 1 at the end of those seasons.

Clear as mud then

No, there is no 'mud'. There isn't a rule to cover it. Just as there is no rule in England (see media coverage asking the same question as to whether Liverpool would be declared champions). I'd guess its the same all over Europe. That's why UEFA - at their meeting on Tuesday with all 55 football associations - need to be taking a lead and not simply kicking the can down the road. This isn't going away. We will not be playing football again in April, it just isn't going to happen.

So if the season was declared ended after 2 games they'd be declared Champions? Or 8 games? Or 20 games? Plenty of scope for a legal argument.

If they fight the 'end of the season' line technically.

But theres nothing in the rules that really covers for this situation so hence the need for court, which undoubtedly will see a rewrite of the rules for the future.

We should not take this lying down if this is the road they do go.

Have Liverpool mathematically won it yet?

If the answer is ‘no’ then they shouldn’t.

Yeah, I know. Was just demonstrating my sheer hypocrisy and I'm sure I'm not alone.

We still have an outside chance, where as down south it's almost all over, but same rules apply, you win it at the end if its completed, not half way or three quarters way through.

Maybe Dundee Utd wont get up either win win.

Well the promotion and relegation lines do say 'after the completion of all games.' So I am thinking the SPFL are going to go down the lines of awarding league winners without promotion or relegation.

Is that for relegation also,how ironic if Hearts went down after all the support they offered us
I’m in a quandary with this one. If Hearts went down then it means Dundee Utd are promoted.

I think it would be funnier that the year they finally get their shit together the league is cancelled and season 20/21 starts with the same league participants as 19/20.

Then Dundee, ICT and Partick are all in much better form next season and they all finish next season ahead of United in the table.

Only downside is that it’s not that wee rat Thompson at the helm.

Scottish football will sue itself to death - teams relegated with almost 25% of the season still to play, same goes for promotion and the prize money that goes with it - it will be carnage if they said thats it and hand out the prizes.
Closed doors games will be getting pushed but if teams start having to self isolate and that extends the season even longer then what? I would have a few of our players self isolating until the Timplosion is complete to be honest - %^*& them and their tainted 9 in a row

I am sure this was raised last week on some chat show, and there is nothing in the rule books to cover this. If they say it's an unprecedented event, and award them the league, then the war year trophies were unprecedented as well, so just give them to us.

I am 100% adamant, that this league season should be null and void without any shadow of a doubt.

I am 100% adamant, that Liverpool should be awarded the english league title without any shadow of a doubt.
Not sure if serious but that would be contradictory although it would certainly add to the bheasts meltdown

I have a mentally challenged on the hook in work going absolutely tonto just now as we have told him that UEFA have awarded this years tournaments jointly to all teams that are still in the competitions and split the prize money accordingly:)

If UEFA decide to start the UCL and EL as normal next season then this is what might have to happen. They can’t really postpone the start of next season as the euros look likely to be next summer now so that’s another big priority.

Good chance that they may advise every individual league and let them decide the outcomes which will be the real interesting part.
Mate I think we all need to realise anytime is possible now.

See post 58

The flaw in your argument comes when we look at relegation issues though. You cannot declare Liverpool champions and the season over if there are still clubs fighting it out to avoid relegation, with the huge consequences that entails down in England.

To be fair to the English media (there's something you don't read very often) I am not seeing any groundswell of opinion that Liverpool should be declared champions. All I see are accounts of the EPL, just like their Scottish equivalent, having NO rules to cover a situation whereby a season is left incomplete. Some point to a decision on these issues being taken by the Board of the EPL but go on to highlight the fact it would likely lead to Court challenges etc. Just like in Scotland.

It's for UEFA to take a lead here across ALL 55 associations within their control. We can't pick and choose when a team should be declared champions simply on tribal loyalties.

People are dying - the world is about to go into lockdown - thousands of people are going to loose their jobs - economies all over the world are in major trouble, a huge percentage of teams are going to struggle to survive this pandemic yet all Lennon and their hordes are interested in is 9 in a row - absolutely cretinous behaviour from them.

I am 100% adamant, that this league season should be null and void without any shadow of a doubt.

I am 100% adamant, that Liverpool should be awarded the english league title without any shadow of a doubt.
I am 100% adamant that Leeds United should be promoted without any shadow of a doubt

flip it round a second, if celtic had mathematically won the league by now, would they be permitted to forgo the rest of their fixtures? Nope! Why? because it has an impact on other teams who they will not be playing.

For a season to be complete and everyone in their "rightful" or "earned" positions all of the fixtures need to be completed. End of.

That is not to say the SPFL (not the SFA remember) may just turn around and say "extraordinary circumstances" etc etc. Koonts

Last edited:
I listened to talk sport on this subject last night. The relegation/ promotion aspect (particularly in England) is going to be a massive debate point. Take Leeds for example. Out the top league for nearly 2 decades, do you think they will accept no relegation from the EPL?

The same applies for up here. If it is mathematically possible to win the league or mathematically possible to avoid relegation but the games cannot be played to confirm this, the season must be declared void. You cannot finish a league based on current positions as we have all seen great comebacks at both ends of the table in numerous leagues. That’s football.

It will rumble on through the courts and CAS etc if the leagues are declared void but public perception will be interesting. People are already dying from this thing. A lot more will succumb. As Jurgen Klopp says, football is not important.

I would hate to think of any of my family succumbing to this. Unfortunately we know there is no moral standards across the city and I therefore expect them to fight for this tooth and nail. This is right up their street. Sad really when you think about it....

Well the promotion and relegation lines do say 'after the completion of all games.' So I am thinking the SPFL are going to go down the lines of awarding league winners without promotion or relegation.

But "all games" haven't been completed. All games is 38 in the SPFL.

Unless the full set of fixtures is completed there can surely be no title awarded or relegation imposed. I suggest this would still be the case even if the title was mathematically secure in one team’s favour - an incomplete season is just that and the competition will be declared null and void.
I admit though that I would be aggrieved if the boot was on the other foot, but hey ho it’s not, so the mhanky horde can just suck it up and we should all rush to their side with sincere condolences for their loss!

The flaw in your argument comes when we look at relegation issues though. You cannot declare Liverpool champions and the season over if there are still clubs fighting it out to avoid relegation, with the huge consequences that entails down in England.

To be fair to the English media (there's something you don't read very often) I am not seeing any groundswell of opinion that Liverpool should be declared champions. All I see are accounts of the EPL, just like their Scottish equivalent, having NO rules to cover a situation whereby a season is left incomplete. Some point to a decision on these issues being taken by the Board of the EPL but go on to highlight the fact it would likely lead to Court challenges etc. Just like in Scotland.

It's for UEFA to take a lead here across ALL 55 associations within their control. We can't pick and choose when a team should be declared champions simply on tribal loyalties.

No argument from me. I cant reconcile the thoughts myself. I dont have any allegiance towards Liverpool, it's purely on a "it's only fair" type feeling. It's a cluster %^*& and as you say it will need an organisation wide approach, or CAS will be busy for years.

Sponsorships, prize money, bets, promotion, relegation, transfers (loan players etc), tv deals... going to be interesting few months.

Calling BS.

Only thing I can see in the rules to support their argument is

1. The Club occupying position one in the League at the end of a Season shall be declared the Champion Club of the League
If the SPFL decided that the end of the season is now, then maybe on a technicality. I am sure it would be challenged though.

For the relegation clause it states after the completion of all games but it does not say this for the champion club. So I could see them trying to award a winner of each league with no promotions or relegations. Again, not without a challenge (hopefully).
Completion of ALL games , ALL being the operative word .

Back