Official Jack Butland - Welcome to Rangers! - 4 Year Deal

Let's face it, a lot of goals against us came from crosses or corners, so if he can come off his line and prevent goals from those scenarios, it will benefit us massively. It will also give our defence confidence if he takes pressure off.
I read on the Stoke forum that it's not his strong point. They aren't very complimentary towards him at all to be honest. They say that the injury he got finished him, on paper it certainly seems to be a good bit of business right enough.

The 'blink' at 0:11 :)

gn16.png
If that is the design for the new home top then I like it a lot!

This is a massive signing for us. I don’t know why his career stalled the way it did but to get a keeper from Man u, which many think should be in front of De Gea, proves he’s not just making up the numbers.

Welcome to the famous Jack.

I love how everyone seems to belittle McCrorie. Every time he has played he hasn’t let us down. Yet we have just signed a keeper who hasn’t properly played for a couple of years. If Butland was that good he would have been a number 1 at a club down south not a back up?
I think some need to be careful of going too far the other way.

McCrorie has about a dozen first team games to his name. Beale would have been negligent if he had gone into a new season with McCrorie as our no1.

I hope McCrorie makes the grade but he has it all to prove. Better to prove himself as a reliable no2 and get 10-12 games over the course of the season to show what he can do than put the weight of Ibrox on his shoulders.

Goalkeeper is the one position above all others where an individual can lose you the title. It's too big a risk not to have an experienced no1.

Third rate Scottish keepers very rarely get included in full international squads no matter who they play for, very nice of you to rate one of our very own as 3rd rate, I personally think he will provide stiff competition for Jack Butland and vice versa, absolutely no guarantees Jack Butland will be the ultimate hero you are predicting, for an off McCrorie has played more first team games than Butland has in the last 2 years....As much as I think its a fantastic signing I won't be putting all my eggs in Jack Butland's basket before he has set foot on the park.
Yes they do because Scotland has never had more than one or two at any time who are not third rate. Name me the first rate goalkeepers in the Scotland squad right now? Or even the second rate ones?

I'm a little nervous about Butland given his time away from competitive games but Im happy that we have young McCrorie who has shown he is capable of stepping in.
He’s not been away from top teams though. Plus he’s played a lot more games in his career than mccrorie. He’s young for a keeper.

That was an excellent interview, he speaks really well. Sounds like he is going to play a huge role in the dressing room tbh.

I'm only 3 pints and 4 vodkas in.

His name is Butland, the ball's in his hands,
He saves at Broomloan, he saves at Copland...

Will post my bank details for the royalties.

To the tune of This Land is Your Land, by Guthrie.

He hates Bobby Sands (he's died)
He's in a flute band
He's got a tattoo saying FTP

Welcome to Rangers Jack, to the greatest club on earth.

Ibrox Stadium is the best in the world and is your home now. Play well and the fanbase will love you and make sure you feel at home. Just give us your all, that’s all we ask.

PS. He’s a big handsome bastard, isn’t he? :)) :)) :))

Potential to be one of the best signings in a very long time
Certainly hope so. Goalkeeper at Rangers (and the other mob) is a tough gig. Nothing to do for 94 minutes and then one save to make. Make it- and it's forgotten about, let it in and it pitchforks at midnight. All I can say is give him time. Even Andy Goram took time to make that adjustment.

A big signing with a good profile.

Can see why there would be question marks over his playing time and how it ended in Stoke.

All the attributes though and we have shown over the years we give a strong platform for goalkeepers to really excel.

A great signing for us, free transfer what’s not to like. Two really good goalkeepers.I like all of our signings so far. Hope we get some more in and try and offload Wright, McGlaughlin and Matondo.

This is a massive signing for us. I don’t know why his career stalled the way it did but to get a keeper from Man u, which many think should be in front of De Gea, proves he’s not just making up the numbers.

Welcome to the famous Jack.
Broken ankle kept him out for over a year and he's been a shadow of his former self ever since.
Apparently.

The bizarre takes this place offers up when we’ve just considerably strengthened a position never fails to amuse
Mate we could bargain down to 5 million for Piroe and there would still be half a dozen people saying should have given the 5 million to Morelos our top European scorer (and I’ll always be a Morelos fan)

It’s just the nature of the internet and it’s reach

Whats his best attributes mate? I'm hearing coming for crosses and commanding the box. The amount of times teams got in behind us because McGregor was glued to his line drove me nuts when a mobile keeper would sweep it up.

Is he any good with the ball at his feet ?
He's commanding and confident. Keeps his back line in check. His shot stopping is brilliant. Generally a good all round keeper but he has been prone to a few mad bunders:)) he will make up for that though.

Some of his saves/ performances I seen back then were no short of world class at times. Getting him at 30 is a brilliant deal.

What’s he like with the ball at his feet playing the ball out from the back?

Speaks and comes across really well. Great addition. Hats off to Beale for pulling this one off without the support of Director of Football! Well played.
Butland will be a success for us, I can feel it. Remember this guy was trusted enough to be on the bench at Wembley last Saturday for Man Utd. That says a lot for me.
Welcome on board Jack!!

Yes they do because Scotland has never had more than one or two at any time who are not third rate. Name me the first rate goalkeepers in the Scotland squad right now? Or even the second rate ones?
Craig Gordon can hardly be classed as 2nd rate, he's not the keeper he once was however he's not had a bad career both at club level and international, Angus Gunn is another that I wouldn't class as 2nd rate... I sure as hell hope Jack Butland hits the ground running and has a barrow load of clean sheets otherwise you'll be classing him as 2nd rate. Fwiw I personally think he's a fantastic signing who could and can be a huge player for us, that being said since 2020 he played 10 games and kept 1 clean sheet. Despite his early promise his career has stalled since 2018/19... losing his No1 place to various 2nd rate keepers as you put it. I'm delighted he has joined but wary at the same time.

You’ll not get an argument mate…and I frankly don’t trust McCrorie to be our number one either if that’s what you’re alluding to.

Cantwell’s got hee haw to with Butland’s signing though???

As for your last sentence? I touch on that in the post you’ve replied to.

Still 50/50
Let’s just bookmark the thread and see if he’s above SPL quality. He’s a top goalkeeper. I’m going to stand behind that and I think you will realise it. He’s closer to the Goalie, Klos and Greigsy than Ally Maxwell. Those of us old enough to remember the odd Goram mistake will also remember saves of ridiculous, almost unbelievable quality Butland is a top, top keeper with the right attitude. Of course only in my opinion. Let’s see what you are saying in six months.

Last edited:
No nothing about the boy and never seen him play,hopefully he's got the quality to carry on our tradition of having outstanding goalkeepers

Back