Official Calvin Bassey to Ajax - Official

I'm sure someone has put AgentScotland right by now ha ha.

Ajax has reached an agreement with Rangers FC and Calvin Bassey for the transfer of the defender to Amsterdam. The English-Nigerian player has signed a contract with Ajax that will take effect immediately and will run for five seasons, until June 30, 2027. Ajax will pay a transfer fee of EUR 23 million to Rangers FC. Including variables, that amount could increase to EUR 26.5 million.

HAHAHA.

Imagine the seethe when the orcs see that. I’m so glad they’re actually putting the numbers out there because it really does give them no wiggle room. Hopefully that massive wad of cash is enough to keep the leccy on.

A great young player and nice guy who has served us well. He goes with our very best wishes.

Now, here’s another angle. Someone at Leicester is currently sitting with their head in their hands. They got it spectacularly wrong and we unearthed a diamond. One for the critics to remember when it comes to laying the boot into our player recruiting.

If we’d sold a player for £300k and within that period he became a £22m player plus add-on’s, maybe we’d have a right to go ballistic.

Bassey deserves great credit for not going down the EPL route straight away.

Particularly as that sort of fee for Brighton is nothing and would have gone under the radar but at Ajax and the Dutch league will put him under considerable pressure to perform at a high level.

Good luck to the big man. Comes across as a really good guy and has made a helluva an impact in such a short space of time.

A brilliant player and total gentleman. Amazing deal for him and it's an amazing deal for us. Wish him well in the future and he is always welcome back!

Would love to have had him for one more season but you can’t knock back that money.

Only time will tell I suppose if john form Clyde1 is correct!

B-)

Not sure if it’s been mentioned in here yet but Ajax have confirmed the fee…

€23m up front with €3.5m in addons.

Total value is
£19.58m up front
£2.98m in addons

All the very best to him. He got me out of my seat many times last season. Brave as a Lion and strong as an Ox.

Circa£20m was just too much money to turn down, Calvin will smash it at Ajax and be transferred to one of the big leagues within two or three seasons.

All the best, big man, and thanks for the memories.

Well deserved for the big man. Hopefully for the guys in academies down south are paying attention. The platform available in the scottish game is huge

Bittersweet moment. Sad that he’s gone as he’s an incredible talent, but glad he’s moved to a proper club with UCL group stages guaranteed pretty much every year.

Hopefully a few of the youths take a good look at Bassey and his journey! Signed as a back up, some wanted punted after the covid breach and some really critical after the Prague game. He listened and learned and became unstoppable!

Still remember his apology on RTV after the covid incident.

Incredible the progress he has made since then, now widely regarded as one of the best young defenders in Europe.

Go and smash it big man, destined for the top!

Bassey deserves great credit for not going down the EPL route straight away.

Particularly as that sort of fee for Brighton is nothing and would have gone under the radar but at Ajax and the Dutch league will put him under considerable pressure to perform at a high level.
Apparently he had offers to go to the epl but it was he who chose Ajax which says much that he sees his development as a player more important than money

I'm sure someone has put AgentScotland right by now ha ha.

Ajax has reached an agreement with Rangers FC and Calvin Bassey for the transfer of the defender to Amsterdam. The English-Nigerian player has signed a contract with Ajax that will take effect immediately and will run for five seasons, until June 30, 2027. Ajax will pay a transfer fee of EUR 23 million to Rangers FC. Including variables, that amount could increase to EUR 26.5 million.

He’s just deleted a tweet claiming the fee was around £18m if addons were met :D

As I said in the BBC thread where he lied claiming McLaughlin was banned for exposing sectarian singing, I can’t believe the barefaced cheek he has to pretend he’s “neutral”. At least those mental Celtic blogs have the decency to admit who they’re aimed at and what they’re about.

For an account supposedly dedicated to Scottish Football and the NT, why did it make absolutely no mention of the passing of Andy Goram, who was capped over 40 times for his country and is considered by many to be the greatest Scottish goalkeeper ever?

He’s a sleekit wee coward. Celtic supporters making up lies about us or having digs is par for the course, but when someone tries to hide behind being “neutral” or “for Scottish Football” to do it, that really sticks in my craw.

Said on the main thread starting by Mark that I’m gutted to see him go, a fantastic player who has limitless potential, but also just a lovely lad who is thankful for every day he gets to play football.
Will follow Ajax a lot more closely now, can see him ending up at a super power in 2-3 years.
Who knows, maybe a wee return down the road when he’s been and done it all, he loves us as much as we love him.

I don’t have any doubt barring injury he’s headed for the very top of the game.i feel like it’s been a real privilege to watch this boy just get better and better.i wish him
nothing but the best and we’ll all have a wee glow of satisfaction when we see him at the top of the game

Wish our journey together could have been longer but that is a fantastic deal for all parties. All the best for the future Calvin.

One of those transfers where everyone benefits.

Calvin gets a move to a club that are famous for taking players to the next level and getting them moves to big leagues.
He also gets to be a 22 year old millionaire in Amsterdam, what a life!

Ajax get a fantastic player with a great attitude who will only get better and better.

We essentially get a 100x return on investment in two years, a club record fee and increase our profile as a club that is a great place for young players to come develop.

Best of luck to the big man.

Came across as genuinely cracking lad, very level headed even when he first signed and looked very popular amongst everyone.
Gutted he leaving like everyone but one we can't turn down with the player trading model going forward.

It hurts a lot less knowing we've got £20 million in the coffers straight off the bat. Still hurts though.
Big Calvin was a bargain. Star player for us in the end. I don't think he'll be at Ajax for very long, a season or two at most, then he'll head on to bigger better things.

One of my favourite players in recent years, don't think I'm alone in that. Support took to him almost instantly. Built like a tank but has got a heart of gold. Going to keep tabs on his career from now on, never really needed an excuse to watch Ajax in the CL but I'll make a point of checking how he's doing.

Great move for the big man , Ajax have a touch of class around them and I’m sure he will thrive there , Good luck Calvin

Reactions: VGM
Back