It’s the end of the road for Tav, Goldson and several others

You think he started him out of loyalty?

Well why do you think he started him? You are the one claiming he won't have any loyalty and isn't stupid yet I have just pointed out something that contradicts that.

It was either loyalty or he was very naive.

Well why do you think he started him? You are the one claiming he won't have any loyalty and isn't stupid yet I have just pointed out something that contradicts that.

It was either loyalty or he was very naive.
I'd say it was more out of necessity.

You think Clement is stupid?

Really quite sad responses these.

There are so many that aren’t contributing enough. That’s not past month or so. If you take it over this or past 1-2 seasons, are these giving enough for their position or wage:

Tav, Goldson, Souttar, Davies, Barisic, Raskin, Lundstram, Lawrence, Cantwell, Jack, Dowell, Matondo, Wright, Dessers, Roofe.

I was taken in, this squad had finally got a
Manager to install what THEY needed. They’ve let us down past month or so and reverted to type.

That list of names they aren’t all write offs but few worthy of a future. It’s a huge problem doubting fifteen players in a probable twenty-five man squad.

There are so many that aren’t contributing enough. That’s not past month or so. If you take it over this or past 1-2 seasons, are these giving enough for their position or wage:

Tav, Goldson, Souttar, Davies, Barisic, Raskin, Lundstram, Lawrence, Cantwell, Jack, Dowell, Matondo, Wright, Dessers, Roofe.

I was taking in, this squad had finally got a
Manager to install what THEY needed. They’ve let us done past month or so and reverted to type.

That list of names they aren’t all write offs but few worthy of a future. It’s a huge problem doubting fifteen players in a probable twenty-five man squad.
I wouldn’t be worried if any of your list left tbh mate. Not one would I raise a case to keep for.

First 2 goals Tavernier was almost in a left back position. Third goal, goodness knows where he was. Nowhere in the TV picture. Fed up reading all these threads praising him to the high heavens. His positioning is piss poor.

Yet there will be people on here who will suggest it's nothing more than football manager lunacy to suggest Tav should be moved up the pitch because it would somehow destabilise the defence to move him away from right back...fk me how destabilised have we been at
Id keep tav too tbh, not at right back though, i think he could do a job pushed up a bit, i know he has his critics but there’s no denying he’s a good attacking threat, the arm band has to come off him though, i might be wrong and publicly they would all say different, but in any job be it football or in a factory, people wont take much notice of someone trying too get on at them from someone who makes as much mistakes as them, for me the captain in any team has to be the 7 or 8 out of 10 most weeks to get the respect from the players who your trying to lead.

You'll have people accusing you of football manager type lunacy for suggesting Tav can do a job from a more advanced position. Even though Sterling is the natural RB to slot in behind Tav to facilitate that move. I'd be OK with people dismissing it if the defence looked secure with Tav at RB but its been shaky for most of the season and shambolic in recent weeks. How could it possibly get any worse if we set up a little differently now?

Let's get real here. 2 of the 3 you name are up for player of the year.

Tav will be here next season whether people like it or not. He has scored 17 goals and assisted in a further 8.
And that’s why we won’t win the league because people like yourself just accept that because of his goals and assists that he’s great.

He can’t defend and he’s got a weak mentality. I’d rather a defender who can defend and a captain who can lead and take a game by the scruff of the neck.

Last edited:
I'd say it was more out of necessity.

You think Clement is stupid?

Really quite sad responses these.

No I don't think he is stupid and never said he was - however to say that manager's don't have any loyalty to certain players is pretty daft. It happens in any workplace after all.

BTW How was starting Scott Wright a necessity last week? Where are you pulling this from?

And that’s why we won’t win the league because people like yourself just accept that because of his goals and assists that he’s great.

He can’t defend and he’s got a weak mentality. I’d rather a defender who can defender and a captain who can lead and take a game by the scruff of the neck.

Well if we had a massive pit of money and had a decent record of replacing players I would feel a lot more confident,. We don't have either of those.

There's at least 10 players I would be looking to replace before I even thought about Tav and that kind of shows the issues we have within the 1st team squad.

No I don't think he is stupid and never said he was - however to say that manager's don't have any loyalty to certain players is pretty daft. It happens in any workplace after all.

BTW How was starting Scott Wright a necessity last week? Where are you pulling this from?
Thats not what I said though.

Scott Wright started that game because we were light on options in that area due to injury/fitness concerns. You obviously know this. He wouldn't have started if Sima, Cortes or McAusland were fully fit/available. Again, you already know this.

He's stuck with this squad until the summer and is having to use players he wouldn't in an ideal world (or after the summer window when he can get rid of them).

Another season of ripping it up and starting again. Another season with a new team having no idea how to play together and trying to find their group identity. Absolutely shambolic. We are a joke of a club.

He can’t defend and he’s got a weak mentality. I’d rather a defender who can defender and a captain who can lead and take a game by the scruff of the neck.
I don’t really care for the defending Scottish football is Fukin shite, I’m more worried about your second point, mentality. He’s been captain for 5 years and we’ve won once at the piggery and won 1 league title. Anyone making a claim for him to stay on is absolutely deluded that anything changes whilst he’s there. The facts are there, this isn’t just personal preference.

Well if we had a massive pit of money and had a decent record of replacing players I would feel a lot more confident,. We don't have either of those.

There's at least 10 players I would be looking to replace before I even thought about Tav and that kind of shows the issues we have within the 1st team squad.
He has won 1 title ! 1. He’s a loser and will go down as the biggest bottlejob captain in our history. Supporters remember players for their trophy haul, not their goals and assists.

Winners medals is a good guide. We have been in with a shout post nightmare times for say 4 or 5 years now. There are not many winners medals for these players during that period. Clement needs to bring his own men in.

Thats not what I said though.

Scott Wright started that game because we were light on options in that area due to injury/fitness concerns. You obviously know this. He wouldn't have started if Sima, Cortes or McAusland were fully fit/available. Again, you already know this.

He's stuck with this squad until the summer and is having to use players he wouldn't in an ideal world (or after the summer window when he can get rid of them).

Fine but you start with your strongest team and take it from there. You don't pull in somebody who has contributed less than nothing to the season and start them in your biggest game of the season and one that could define if you win the league.

I’m hoping for either a nice Saudi bid for Tav, or for the manager to try and reshape him into a different position where we can exploit his strengths and lessen the effect of his weaknesses.

If we start next season with Tav at right back and Goldson starting every game they’re fit for and staying on for 90 minutes every week irrespective of performance, we’ll find ourselves again here next season.

Tav, goldson and lunny are the 3 you look to for leadership and a bit of fight and they continue to provide zero!

Thanks, but time to move on.

How anyone can be the highest goal scoring right back in history of British football and be such a hinderance is beyond me!

He should be the most confident player on the park! Doesn't have the mentality to be a winner or a leader when times are tough!
That's half the problem

He's a defender first and foremost who has never been great at defending That's why no team has ever came in for him

He takes penalties,throw ins corners
His penalties would be scored by any decent striker
Sterling should be lundstrums replacement and buy a new right back that can defend first

Goldsons head seems to be completely gone, he used to be a rock and now gets bullied off every striker he’s up against. I’d happily see him go in Summer, he’s been here too long.
Goldson thought he was getting a move after 55 you could tell with his interviews

The fact we were his fall back option and making him a top earner when big Leon balagon would do the same job add to that when no one wanted him for free what chance do we have of shifting him with a high contract and a transfer fee

He would have, had we won the title. Sadly we will likely have to renew some of these guys after handing them another title
You can't say the rebuild was on the basis of winning the league because when Clement came in the board thought it was done all bar cups

There's no reason we can't sell Lawrence,Dowell matondo davies and replace with fewer players that will contribute more
That's not including the out of contract players, we are going to need to find investment though and it needs spent wisely otherwise we will be winning the odd cup here and there and a league if we're lucky

I know people will point to 2012 but we need 25 30mill spent on our squad because as it is the drop off from first team to the bench is unreal

I don’t mind people having a go at the old guard, but what are we left with? It’s a sad state of affairs.
Replace with a younger fitter and hungry team that has ambition

Tav Goldson know they're not getting big moves it's a mentality thing as much as anything

Goldson closing his eyes at corners and hoping for the best

Loyalty to a squad that he's known for half a season
The guys says he's winner doesn't even let his kids beat him at board games

You think he's gonna be loyal to players that could cost him his job

I want them gone and have done for a while but the sad reality is, who takes them? They earn good money here and have a few years ok contract, would have to be a low prem team which they ain’t good enough for or Saudi!

Cantwell gets pass marks for me for yesterday, along with Butland.
The rest were a disgrace.
But aye, it should be the end for tav, Goldson, Barisic, souttar but more than likely all but one of them will still be here next season doing their thing.

Cantwell gets pass marks for me for yesterday, along with Butland.
The rest were a disgrace.
But aye, it should be the end for tav, Goldson, Barisic, souttar but more than likely all but one of them will still be here next season doing their thing.
Agree with that, Barasic kicked ball right out park from kick off.

Replace with a younger fitter and hungry team that has ambition
We’d all love that but how realistic is it? Our success in the transfer market hasn’t been great and how patient are our fans going to be with a young team?

Tav Goldson know they're not getting big moves it's a mentality thing as much as anything
That’s nonsense tbh, as much as people like to repeat it.

Do you not think they’re desperate to win the league?

So many have to leave, the ones out of contract, In my opinion none are resigned. as for Goldson and Tav, unless they are clubs out there willing to take them, then we could be stuck with these 2 for as long as they have a contract!!!

The most he can do right now is make the decision to drop Goldson and possibly Tav if we want to pick up points this week/win in the cup. Goldson especially needs dropped. Hopefully Yilmaz is back fit, but if he isnt we cannot play Borna there again, he is absolutely done for us.

Come summer, it will be very difficult to get rid of Goldson or Tav. Both last their peak and on high wages. I don't see anyone coming in for Goldson especially.

He can’t defend and he’s got a weak mentality. I’d rather a defender who can defend and a captain who can lead and take a game by the scruff of the neck.
100%.

I’m hoping for either a nice Saudi bid for Tav, or for the manager to try and reshape him into a different position where we can exploit his strengths and lessen the effect of his weaknesses.

If we start next season with Tav at right back and Goldson starting every game they’re fit for and staying on for 90 minutes every week irrespective of performance, we’ll find ourselves again here next season.
We need him out the club.

We need him out the club.
The guy with the most goals and assists at the club? Who scored the goal to get us our only trophy in 2 seasons so far? Who performs better in the stats for a defender than most of ours, and that mobs, defenders?

What we need to do is put better players around him and not ones that are shot for confidence. Honestly, guys like yourself were probably on here waxing lyrical about him when he scored vs the sheep and will do so again if he scores the goal that wins us the league. Its just such revisionist nonsense.

I trust the manager and will wait to see what he thunks is best personally.

The guy with the most goals and assists at the club? Who scored the goal to get us our only trophy in 2 seasons so far? Who performs better in the stats for a defender than most of ours, and that mobs, defenders?

What we need to do is put better players around him and not ones that are shot for confidence. Honestly, guys like yourself were probably on here waxing lyrical about him when he scored vs the sheep and will do so again if he scores the goal that wins us the league. Its just such revisionist nonsense.

You'll never find me waxing lyrical about him, you'll also not find me criticising him until he let everyone down last week in the 1st minute v the beggars.
I trust the manager who will want to be a success here.
No chance he will be here.
He's done.
Serial loser.
He's a weak link targeted by opposition managers every game.
Old guard all need removed.

Bit late now right enough but i still dont see what is so outrageous about playing Tav in a more attacking position or at least going 3 at the back so Souttar is ready to cover.

Our options in midfield are pretty poor anyway, i would say the chances of him being left out are zero, Goldson possibly but Tav is captain and will be involved because he gets so many important goals. So ask him to play and focus on the other half of the field.

It is quite odd the way so many write off young kids like Devine he is exactly the kind of player we needed at Ross someone that gets tight to his opponent and plays with plenty of aggression.

I’d take the players out of the debate. It’s time to end this need for a fullback to have midfielders tasked more with covering for them than it is for them to actually contribute to anything else. Our midfielders are limited because of a style of play that Warburton introduced and teams target it to such a manner that it costs us trophies. If our forwards can’t get their head onto a cross into a packed box they have little options available to them and the space available to allow these long punts into a packed box is goal fodder for every team we play.

Would putting better players around him have stopped him gifting a goal to the dirt last week and putting us on the back foot from 21 seconds ?

Would putting better players around him, made him find a Rangers jersey atleast once in the first half on Sunday?

Would putting better players around him have stopped him gifting a goal to the dirt last week and putting us on the back foot from 21 seconds ?

Would putting better players around him, made him find a Rangers jersey atleast once in the first half on Sunday?
It wouldnt have stopped the goal vs that lot. That was a terrible mistake but was also a monumental fluke. It happens to the best players in the world, of which Tav obviously isnt. Having better players who want to take even a shred of his responsibility would help in games like Sunday though. And, without him, game like sunday would be irrelevant as we wouldnt be in anything resembling a title fight.

Back