McCrorie to leave following McGregor’s new deal

Why? Would McCrorie be happy to renew as a number 3?

We dont know the situation but everyone is overreacting. What wage is AM going to be on? I doubt he will be the number 1 keeper next season and may be happy to do coaching and be a number 3. Potentially a new goalkeeper being signed. No point in renewing RM contract if not rated or wanted by the management team
He was number one just a couple of months ago and chosen no matter how he played the week before. I’m not sure if anything will have changed on that front as he doesn’t strike me as the type of keeper who is happy to just sit on the bench. Hopefully McGregor is number 3 and on a very low wage but if he’s number 1 or 2 then I think we’ve made a mistake.

Out of curiosity, had we not resigned McGregor and chucked £40,000 a week at Sam Johnstone instead would folk still be raging if McCrorie decided to leave for first team football ?

No but that's not the point, at least in that instance the board would have shown a little bit of proactivity and aggression in the market.

McCrorie should have been challenging before now anyway imo, remember we still have Jay Hogarth (18), Lewis Budinauckas (20) & Aaron Cervantes (20) to step up to 1st team squad as 3rd GK.

McGregor’s a body looks like it’s giving up on him. At the same time i’m not convinced McCrorie is the answer, would love him to have proved me wrong however.

If he was actually good enough then he would have found a way to get himself played in my opinion. He is 24, not 16 or something. The one for the future comment was fair enough but in reality, most keepers at that age have already forced their way into a team.
Neither Gerrard or Gio could bring themselves to drop McGregor for McLaughlin despite McGregor being nowhere near his previous standard. If McLaughlin who everyone rates as a good keeper can't force McGregor to the bench then what chance did McCrorie ever have to get more game time while McGregor was still at the club?

Name carries weight far more than people would like to admit. McGregor, Davis and Arfield all getting new deals when none of them came close to reaching the level they had even the season prior sort of proves that.

Just sums up the short sighted strategy at the club signing McGregor up for another year. Was always going to be like this given the McGregor news. I’d far rather have a 24 year old mccrorie as back up than a 40 year old McGregor(praying that’s all he is and he’s not no1). McGregor even if he was no2 gk is going to come in a lot more rusty than a 24 year old mccrorie would be.

As someone else said above, it seems that the name of the likes of McGregor and arfield carry more weight than their actual ability. Arfield can still offer something but I wouldn’t have been renewing him either.

Should've been the other way around I reckon

At the moment McGregor is still a better keeper than McCrorie, although McLaughlin is better than either of them imo.

McCrorie hasn't developed the way we hoped he would and it's probably best, for his own career, that he moves on.

He's never going to make it with us.
I don't get the outrage from some on here.

Piss poor. What the %^*& is going on behind scenes?

Herald and Times Sport understands that McCrorie was given assurances over his place in Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s plans this term but now feels that he has no option but to head for the exit door to avoid another wasted season on the bench after a chance in stance at Ibrox.

The lad has been seen as the best young keeper in Scotland. He was courted by the big English clubs as a teenager and hasn’t made that jump yet.

Plenty want to write him off after a bad season at livi but that is unfair. Can happen to any young player. He needs to play now or his career won’t take off. Probably won’t be at Rangers now as his contract won’t be extended

Rangers are just terrible at developing youth. Always the safe options

McGregor had Klos to oust. And excelled on his loan. McCrorie was dropped by livi and couldn't displace jack Alnwick or wes foderingham.

It sounds like I am slating the boy but im not. I think he has potential to be a good keeper. But im inclined to agree with our last 2 managers that he wont make it as our number 1. They literally see him every day.

Its mainly blue tinted specs stuff that makes folk think otherwise.
Its turned into an anti McGregor thread.
Rather than, maybe he is not up to the job.
Just because he has been here since a kid doesnt doesn't mean he is the answer.

The question is, and only those at the club including McCrorie will know, was McGregor signed as McCrorie was not deemed good enough or has McCrorie left as a direct result of McGregor's extension?

Personally, not seen enough of him to be able to comment. Looked calm and composed against them last season but struggled to keep the jersey for Livingston previously. Young and still maturing in keeper's terms so will be interesting to see where he goes and what fee is involved.

Another keeper is now required unless any other youngster is capable of stepping up.

The whole goal keeping stuation right now is baffling. Losing a promising goal keeper to keep someone at the end of his trajectory is insane. Just screams 2014 ‘jobs for boys’ vibes.

Don’t blame him. If McGregor is going to be number 2 then for a boy at 24 he needs to be playing football and it must be disheartening that a 40 year old clearly struggling last season is likely going to be ahead of you.

The nightmare scenario for me though is McGregor being number 1 next season.
"If McGregor is going to be number 2"

And that's big 'if' for me, unless I've missed an announcement on this.

I can't imagine McGregor signing on again if he's been told he's going to be number 2.

And if he's number 1, he'll cost us more points in staying on his line at crosses and corners than he'll win us with 'worldie' saves.

Its June 22nd and we have already signed a centre half and renewed the contract of our absolute rock in defence. We are about to lose our 3rd choice keeper who basicially never plays and will replace him.

People need to chill.

I get what you're saying but what date would you start to get worried? We absolutely slept walked into the champs league qualifiers last season which potentially has set us back several years, we can't let that happen again.

I think everyone agreed that the squad needed quite a major refresh. What we've done is extend the contracts of 4 players that everyone thought were leaving anyway.

Pain in the arse for our Euro squad aswell that's a club trained player going might have to buy a couple of Scottish players this summer Ross Stewart becoming a more viable option by the day as is the much maligned Lewis Ferguson

Very disappointed with this, but the below paragraph which I've taken from the article suggests that McLaughlin now has the jersey which is reassuring. Would've preferred McCrorie as the cup keeper next season which seems to be the general consensus amongst us.

But that will not be to stake his claim for the number one jersey this term as boss Van Bronckhorst gets set to put his faith in Jon McLaughlin despite Allan McGregor signing a new Ibrox deal this week after deciding not to hang up his gloves.

Sam Johnstone was our big target and Palace announced the other day he’d agreed to join them.

That’ll have set in motion this keeper shuffling. It’s really not ideal but I can see Zander Clark joining now.

Was he?

We should be in for Jack Butland or Nikita Haikin. Instead we simply love to keep the old band and guard together.

Don’t even joke about Zander Clark. He’s fucking rubbish.

McGregor and McLaughlin will obviously trying to claim the top position; if McCrorie isn't at that level, it isn't McGregor's problem.
I agree but from McCrorie’s perspective it’ll be hugely disheartening.

Most likely next summer we will have a completely new goalkeeper set up.

Herald and Times Sport understands that McCrorie was given assurances over his place in Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s plans this term but now feels that he has no option but to head for the exit door to avoid another wasted season on the bench after a chance in stance at Ibrox.
That's where to stop reading

Absolutely no blame to the lad.
If I knew him, I would advise him to do the same.

He’s not an 18 year old rookie. He’s old enough and accomplished enough to be considered No2 at the very least.

Good luck to him. I’ve got a strong feeling we are going to regret this.

Id do the same as well.

I really hope GVB doesnt have the plan of having McGregor as number one next season.

If we let Mcrorie leave to keep Mcgregor about for another year Wilson better hope that MCrorie doesnt turn out to be any good.

I agree but from McCrorie’s perspective it’ll be hugely disheartening.

Most likely next summer we will have a completely new goalkeeper set up.
McGregor isn't going to around for ever, so surely this was McCrorie's big opportunity?

I am not usually one to be a drama queen but i have a bad feeling about this season.

Letting young hungry players go and rewarding players past their best with new contracts is a terrible idea.

RM is making the correct choice for his career however time will tell if Rangers have made the right choice.......

Love mcgregor but gutted at this news. I’m near confident mccroarie will go on to be scotlands number 1 some day and we will have missed out.

Mccroarie should be our second choice and cup keeper, behind mclaughlin. Mcgregor should be 3rd choice

McGregor isn't going to around for ever, so surely this was McCrorie's big opportunity?
It is and isn’t

McGregor isn’t staying to be 3rd choice.

Next summer he would be stepping up.

Other thing is, maybe gio just doesn’t fancy him.

That’s very concerning.

We’ve known the situation for months and it looks like we’re making last minute decisions.

I wasn’t worried about the window until now, but we need to get our fingers out our arses big time.

Sam Johnstone was our big target and Palace announced the other day he’d agreed to join them.

That’ll have set in motion this keeper shuffling. It’s really not ideal but I can see Zander Clark joining now.

It's fairly ridiculous if we put all our eggs in one basket with Johnstone. I could have told you he wouldn't be playing at Ibrox months ago.

There were plenty of really good keepers available for free this summer. Even no frills ones who would still be an upgrade on McGregor.

That’s very concerning.

We’ve known the situation for months and it looks like we’re making last minute decisions.

I wasn’t worried about the window until now, but we need to get our fingers out our arses big time.

Yeap we are very quiet on the transfer front.

It is and isn’t

McGregor isn’t staying to be 3rd choice.

Next summer he would be stepping up.

Other thing is, maybe gio just doesn’t fancy him.
We need the best goalkeepers we have, especially if a replacement is beyond our budget. If McCrorie can't break through now, then was he ever going to?

It's fairly ridiculous if we put all our eggs in one basket with Johnstone. I could have told you he wouldn't be playing at Ibrox months ago.

There were plenty of really good keepers available for free this summer. Even no frills ones who would still be an upgrade on McGregor.

They are still available. We chose to re-sign a 40 year old and keep the old band together.

It’s fucking brutal. The same core of players for 5 years now. Even the ageing ones are still here.

I’m unsure if McCrorie was good enough to be our goal keeper however the fact the club viewed him as taking a more senior role until McGregor resigned suggested this did, all of which points to a concerning amount of short-term thinking

Back