McCrorie to leave following McGregor’s new deal

I have not seen one single person say every save he makes is world class..

But I guess you trying to state that isn't in any way exaggerated..

Lol honesty.
I have seen close to it on here, simple saves described as world class. There is no hyperbole regarding McGregor being poor last season. He cost us points and was not good enough domestically for a Rangers goalkeeper.

Based on the ability and the age of the two I’d much rather have McCrorie kept than McGregor
I find that staggering but appreciate we all have differing views .

Mcrorie has made his decision he was told he isn’t displacing McLaughlin and has decided to move on which at 24 we must respect.

I’d say we aren’t in a bad place when we have McLaughlin as number 1 and McGregor as number 2 with Wright a capable number 3. We use the £1.5 million for Mcrorie towards our kitty for positions we need.

If the club genuinely dont believe McCrorie is good enough, then on the surface, its fair enough.

I just wonder how bad McCrorie must be if a 41yo keeper whos in decline is keeping you out the picture completely.

8 pages on a 3rd choice keeper not ever seen as good enough to be our number 2, or even Livi's 1st choice whilst on loan there.

Get over it lads, he's leaving and everyone moves on.

Not a big deal at all.
If he left in isolation, very few would bat an eyelid

But the story breaking a day after we extend the contract of a 40 year old declining keeper is the reason why this is such a hot topic

:DI personally think and hope that McLaughlin will start the season as 1st choice.

However, I'd far rather have McGregor as back up, as opposed to McCrorie, irrespective of age.

He's still the superior keeper between them.

That's the point I was trying to make.

Thats what Im hoping and McCrorie is leaving as he wont accept being a number 3 again.

Agreed about McLaughlin, in Scotland he’s what you want. Good with his feet to get the attack going and commands his area well.

I have seen close to it on here, simple saves described as world class. There is no hyperbole regarding McGregor being poor last season. He cost us points and was not good enough domestically for a Rangers goalkeeper.
Ok so you haven't in fact seen anyone state it.

Cool. Glad we got that cleared up.

The idea of a young promising keeper leaving to make room for an old finished, albeit legend, keeper is just ridiculous especially when we all thought last year was it for shagger.

On a positive note, i never really saw mccrorie as our number one so who cares ultimately? At best he was number 2 and would get sold to be someone elses number 1

What a shambles that is keeping a keeper who should be retired and getting rid of a young keeper who man utd are after. Not looking good on the singing front if this is the deals we are doing.

he performed really good in the first OF game last season.
I know, and that obviously shapes our opinion of him. But as I said, he did lose his place at Livi which can happen to a young keeper. All I was saying is that maybe he just hasn’t pushed on as much as we all hoped. He’s still a baby in goalkeeping terms and this could end up being a huge mistake by the club. I was just trying to point out that he did have a blip at Livi and obviously has then wasted a year last season as 3rd choice with us.

There is a slight irony in that,

If not for fortuitous circumstances McGregor likely leaves the club in the same circumstance and it is never actually known if he is good enough or not TBF

If it wasn't for injury to Klos and general bile aimed at Letizi, people would likely never have seen McGregor as our first choice, McGregor who was a 23 year old third choice keeper heading into that season.

To hold onto a keeper who is nearer 50 than 30 years of age is a joke.
That along with arfield and davis staying is papering over the cracks.
Fresh players younger players with a hunger is needed.
To have got £15 million for SG and paterson then the europa run says we are skint.
If we have a poor season then we could loose the league for years.
Between just now and the start of season 23/24 we will loose so many players.
Where will the money come from to reinvest.
I could do what Wilson is doing, allan, scott and steve, theres a one year deal on a reduced wage.

What did you make of his saves against Red star home and away including the penalty save at Ibrox?

8 pages on a 3rd choice keeper not ever seen as good enough to be our number 2, or even Livi's 1st choice whilst on loan there.

Get over it lads, he's leaving and everyone moves on.

Not a big deal at all.
Your second last sentence does that apply to McGregor? The brilliant shot stopper, and the crap keeper of his six yard box for crosses?

No matter what happens it’s safe to say that there’s a significant number of people ready to play Captain Hindsight on this for years to come.

And there’s a few people playing Captain Alternative History already.

So here’s my go: McGregor has been a fantastic club servant and has deserved this contract extension. He’ll play less so I’ll assume unless we see a new signing and there’s rumours of one - that JMcL gets the most of the gigs.

Based on?

Mistakes already from Wilson.
Balogun should have got another year as we have a one constantly fit centre half.
Mcgregor should have been let go as should Davis.
Arfield getting a year was 50/50 in my book but is a good few years younger than the rest.
I am starting to understand why SG fucked off.

I have not seen one single person say every save he makes is world class..

But I guess you trying to state that isn't in any way exaggerated..

Lol honesty.

Last season whenever he made bog standard saves you'd expect any keeper to make you'd have threads started on here saying "I told you so" and still claiming that he's a top keeper.

In fact one guy said he was a better keeper than Fabian Barthez & Victor Valdes despite their careers telling you otherwise.

Based on nothing other than this upcoming season, Greegs is a better option coming off the bench rather McCrorie, especially in the big games where an experienced pair of hands is required...no disrespect to McCrorie but he needs to go and prove himself at a few clubs before he is ready to step up, he will not get the chance at us so will need to move to get the required minutes, he really should have been loaned out last year, i know he has been loaned before but he did not make much of an impact, he needs to be a number one.

Season 23/24 we will absolutely need to bring in a top class goalkeeper, someone to keep McLaughlin on his toes, or to take over from McLaughlin if he has a poor season. It may well be that McCrorie goes to another few clubs and plays fantastic and in 4 years we are bringing him back.

Young keeper who should have a future with us now leaving because we've given a 40 year old another contract.

We're going into the season with 2 keepers who probably don't deserve to be first choice. One is 40. The other is mid 30s. We're getting rid of a guy in his 20s who could do a job for us for the next decade and give us consistency in favour of 2 players who shouldn't really have a future with the club.

Not good enough.

Not joining in with the rage on this one. I think it's McLaughlin as #1 next season regardless of whether McGregor stayed or not. If the lad wanted games he'd have to leave anyway. He couldn't hold down the #1 spot at Livi for the season he was there so I don't see how he'd be ready to be ours. Good luck to him.

I’m not wholly convinced that McCrorie was ever going to be first choice, but I’m even less convinced that losing a promising 24 year old year old keeper by choosing to retain a diminishing 40 year old for one more season is the correct decision.

An absolutely fucking wild move by the club.
I believe Robbie saw himself as number two to Jon and that was the next step from third.
Remaining third isn’t for him. He must also know that Alan’s one year deal is as a player and not a coach.
Will be interesting how Jon feels if Alan begins as number one.

Maybe the manager and GK coach just didn't rate him highly enough. Similar to his brother who was hailed as the next captain, etc. As much as we'd love to see it, it depends on ability.

Balogun should have got another year as we have a one constantly fit centre half.
Arfield getting a year was 50/50 in my book but is a good few years younger than the rest.
So the keeper is too old but the 34 yo (in less than a week) central defender with an injury history should get another year?

Good thinking mate - expect a call from SG with a job offer :rolleyes:

Don't really understand your reasoning here. It's pretty obvious that neither was seen as a potential Rangers No1. Best thing under the circumstances is that they move on for both the club and the player
Reasoning? We now are after third choice keeper which will no doubt be of a similar level.

Young keeper who should have a future with us now leaving because we've given a 40 year old another contract.

We're going into the season with 2 keepers who probably don't deserve to be first choice. One is 40. The other is mid 30s. We're getting rid of a guy in his 20s who could do a job for us for the next decade and give us consistency in favour of 2 players who shouldn't really have a future with the club.

Not good enough.
What complete pish. One of these rejects just played in a Europa League final and the other is a recent-ish Scotland international who has never put a foot wrong for us.

So we prefer the keeper who couldn't get in the first team at Livingston and looked absolutely shocking on the odd occasion he did?

You need to drink less in the afternoon

Getting Goldson to sign for 4 more years.

If you’re going to critique Wilson maybe present all the facts?

Last season whenever he made bog standard saves you'd expect any keeper to make you'd have threads started on here saying "I told you so" and still claiming that he's a top keeper.

In fact one guy said he was a better keeper than Fabian Barthez & Victor Valdes despite their careers telling you otherwise.
Lol...

Did anyone ever state every save he made was world class though? The answer is no.

Our fellow poster was replying to my comment about hyperbole by then exaggerating himself in that reply.

Someone else said earlier in the thread that McGregor made a 'plethora' of mistakes last season. A plethora. Which again is another example of exaggeration.

Now i realise that pointing this out doesn't make any difference to a lot of the posters making these type of comments, because well they want to continue to try to convince us all that McGregor, if he has been resigned as no.1, is a terrible decision.

The fact of the matter though is that I'm guessing over 90% (which must be a record in itself for FF) think it would be a bad decision, IF that is what unfolds. I'm one of that 90% plus.

So why exactly two days later do people find the need to not only keep on going on about how bad they perceive him to be, but actually exaggerate it? Why the need for the exaggeration? What actual purpose does it serve?

(also not saying it doesn't work both ways btw - but i just find it amusing & ridiculous in equal measure).

Another example of poor management. Similar to keeping a finished keeper in goals after Ross Country. Then there was getting a player with barely any match game time take a vital penalty. Don’t forget chucking away a decent lead in match points after the New Year. Keeping Arfield , Davis and goal line Greegs is looking like a common denominator. He’ll be found out by Christmas.

Last edited:
No matter what happens it’s safe to say that there’s a significant number of people ready to play Captain Hindsight on this for years to come.

And there’s a few people playing Captain Alternative History already.

So here’s my go: McGregor has been a fantastic club servant and has deserved this contract extension. He’ll play less so I’ll assume unless we see a new signing and there’s rumours of one - that JMcL gets the most of the gigs.

This is a rather large assumption on your part, and one which I’m far from convinced will actually happen in practice.

Lol...

Did anyone ever state every save he made was world class though? The answer is no.

Our fellow poster was replying to my comment about hyperbole by then exaggerating himself in that reply.

Someone else said earlier in the thread that McGregor made a 'plethora' of mistakes last season. A plethora. Which again is another example of exaggeration.

Now i realise that pointing this out doesn't make any difference to a lot of the posters making these type of comments, because well they want to continue to try to convince us all that McGregor, if he has been resigned as no.1, is a terrible decision.

The fact of the matter though is that I'm guessing over 90% (which must be a record in itself for FF) think it would be a bad decision, IF that is what unfolds. I'm one of that 90% plus.

So why exactly two days later do people find the need to not only keep on going on about how bad they perceive him to be, but actually exaggerate it? Why the need for the exaggeration? What actual purpose does it serve?

(also not saying it doesn't work both ways btw - but i just find it amusing & ridiculous in equal measure).

He did though, he was statistically the worst goalkeeper in the entire division last season.

His save to shot ratio was absolutely horrendous, the thing being he made a number of double saves that actually upped his averages but were only needed because he didn’t deal with the first shot properly.

You can bet Arfield will block Lowry getting minutes too.

We just can’t let go, we love the sentimentality of it all.

Doesn't make financial sense either,, the gulf in wages must be significant. McCrorie proved he can handle high profile games unless he's total shit in training, McGregor has shown a decline in standards with absolute no distribution, commanding box qualitities but he's great to have around the place? So was Andy Cameron in the beginning

There is a slight irony in that,

If not for fortuitous circumstances McGregor likely leaves the club in the same circumstance and it is never actually known if he is good enough or not TBF

If it wasn't for injury to Klos and general bile aimed at Letizi, people would likely never have seen McGregor as our first choice, McGregor who was a 23 year old third choice keeper heading into that season.
Was thinking that myself. He actually turned 25 in the January of that season and had been out on loan to Dunfermline to St Johnstone the seasons prior.
Things could’ve been so different if McGregor had been ushered out the door in very similar circumstances.

Another example of poor management. Similar to keeping a finished keeper in goals after Ross Country. Then there was getting a player with barely any match game time take a viral penalty. Don’t forget chucking away a decent lead in match points after the New Year. Keeping Arfield , Davis and goal line Greegs is looking like a common denominator. He’ll be found out by Christmas.
It's gone viral

The obsession with what McCrorie did on loan at Livingston is getting ridiculous, if a failed loan was career defining then 50% of our squad would never have been signed or played for us!

I have to believe the club have manufactured this situation as they simply don’t rate McCrorie.
Hopefully a suitable replacement is identified

Back